Author Topic: Cleaning mouse poop in bee boxs  (Read 1465 times)

Offline TheFuzz

Cleaning mouse poop in bee boxs
« on: January 28, 2021, 01:37:06 am »
I've recently had a mouse infestation in my shed. There were mouses living inside unused beeboxs, and they have pooped a lot on a number of bottom boards and bee box lids.

I need to clean the boxs and make them hygienic for bees to live in, though I know that bees are sensitive to chemicals, and I'm unsure what cleaning agents I could use that would be safe.

What could I use to clean the bee boxs that would be safe for the bees?

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Cleaning mouse poop in bee boxs
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 09:35:36 am »
I would think a mild solution of bleach water could be used to disinfect the wooden ware. If possible, I would set it in the sun to dry and then freeze for several days.  I don't know if freezing will help, but I think it might kill any stubborn germs that the bleach didn't get. The bleach would dissipate in the sun.  You didn't mention frames and hopefully those boxes were empty. The frames would be different.  You could salvage the wax and use it for non-cosmetic  purposes.  If you are using plastic foundation, you might want to throw those away.

I would be interested to hear what others have to say.  I am just thinking out loud.

Offline Grandma Bear

Re: Cleaning mouse poop in bee boxs
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 08:21:27 pm »
We have always just scrubbed wooden ware down with a bucket of hot soapy water and a good bristled brush. Mice or no, our wooden ware seems to come out of the barn every year looking like it was in the dust bowl. When we have had mouse problems we added a few drops of peppermint oil to the water, it doesn't bother the bees but the mice and moths don't care for it at all. Scrub well, and dry in the sun as Bakersdozen said.