Author Topic: You're kidding, right?  (Read 14897 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: You're kidding, right?
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 12:56:10 pm »
Nice post Jack  :)  We pack a pistol as well, the only reason I would shoot a bear is if it was after me. If I was mauled by a bear there would be no one else to tend to the bees. Bees trump angry hungry bear  :D  but if I did have to shoot an angry hungry bear, I would still weep  :sad:
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 12:57:34 pm »
Thank you Jen, how do you and Perry  like your venison, I tend to cook with a spainish flair, with a touch of spice/ heat.
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 01:06:37 pm »
Riverrat- "Well I spent the last 3 days in a tree stand above a trap and a bait hive waiting for the right moment to bag a bear.  Then the farmer came around and told me we no longer have bears in Kansas.

LOL, I'm sorry I'm laughing, but in a good hearted way. Tell me this my friend, have you ever eaten bear meat?

Riverrat- "I couldnt help it Jen I had to do it.

Not to worry, I still love ya my bee friend, but if I were standing at the bottom of that tree next to the dead bear that you shot, I would have to keep you in that tree at rifle point for a couple of weeks eating only raw bear meat and no toilet paper  ;) ;D ;)

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 01:09:20 pm »
, have you ever eaten bear meat?

Never had bear meat I dont know anyone around here that hunts them.  If they are traveling to hunt it is usually to Colorado to hunt Elk
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 01:22:50 pm »
Okay, soo riverrat, in my opinion, bear meat is not that tasty, it's actually greasy smelly meat. Yuk! but i do have a friend who bags a bear every year. She is an amazing woman! she hunts, kills, guts, and skins the bear in the woods and then packs that puppy out of the woods on her own. She doesn't even cook the bear meat in a pan, she doesn't like the way bear meat tastes when cooked like that. So, she has the entire bear carcass professionally smoked. I've tasted it this way, and it actually tastes real good.

If I were you, and you still want to hunt bear, find a way to sample bear meat before you kill a bear. Otherwise, you're left with a ton of meat that no one will wants to eat. I know of people who have left their bear meat at the dump  :)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 01:39:48 pm »
Thank you Jen, how do you and Perry  like your venison, I tend to cook with a spainish flair, with a touch of spice/ heat.

Best deer meat I ever had was done by one of the guys at Lunenburg Public Works where I worked. It was our Christmas bash, and he slow cooked it in a roast pan with potatoes, onions, and I'm not sure what else, but it was the most tender piece of meat I've ever had!
Just go easy on the spices when I'm there Barry, these old guts ain't what they used to be.  ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 01:42:37 pm »
No habanareo peppers? Just teasing, as I said just a touch...
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 01:47:44 pm »
I pretty much live and hunt by the rule if it eats meat and walks it wont taste good on the table. So I can see where bear may not be tasty ;D
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 01:56:10 pm »
Very true riverrat, and I'll add this, eating a grizzly bear is different meat, eating a berry foraging bear is different meat, and eating a bear that dines at the dump is different meat. From what I've been told, eating a vegetative berry eating bear is much better meat.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 02:40:17 pm »
If i remember right a bear and dogs are from the same descendants? Don't think i could eat dog meat :o. Jac
PS. Perry my wife never reads this forum ;D, besides her maiden name was Bear, but even if she did read it she knows i'm the king and this is my castle. :yes: Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 02:57:03 pm »
Barry, for years we cut the meat cross grain, thin, flour, salt and pepper, cinnamon, quick hot fry in the pan both sides. family loved it that way, would eat all of it right out the pan before dinner started. Mostly now tho, it's strips sauteed for wraps or fajitas, deer burger for sgetti, meatballs, taco's nsuch.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 03:09:33 pm »
Speaking of bears, this is a great great uncle of mine:

http://www.bryangroup.net/whiteheadreunion/stories.htm

That is an amazing link.  Slow modem you have descended from good stock.  Do well in your lifetime.

Thanks.  I do the best I can.  I've only killed one deer.  It was in the front yard.  I snuck around the house and peered around the corner.  It made good meatloaf, though!

Personally I don't care anything about the sport of hunting.  I wish I could get my quota in October and be done with it.  Gun season, bow season, etc., is just garbage to me.  Buck/doe, I don't care.  You can't eat antlers.  I want deer in the freezer.  I don't care how it gets there.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2014, 03:20:54 pm »
Slow- "Personally I don't care anything about the sport of hunting.  I wish I could get my quota in October and be done with it.  Gun season, bow season, etc., is just garbage to me.  Buck/doe, I don't care.  You can't eat antlers.  I want deer in the freezer.  I don't care how it gets there.

I like your outlook Slow, some people can bake fantastic bread, some don't want to. If I could get some deer over to you in Tenn I would do so. It's illegal to hunt doe's in Calif.  But there was a time when the lumber industry shut down in upper northern Calif. The lumber industry was a main stay for hundreds of families, including ours. Needless to say, a doe landed in our freezer and don't ask me how I know that...   ;) 

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2014, 03:22:33 pm »
Well I spent the last 3 days in a tree stand above a trap and a bait hive waiting for the right moment to bag a bear.  Then the farmer came around and told me we no longer have bears in Kansas. ;D  who would have thought..  I couldnt help it Jen I had to do it.  But I will say I agree with you on the sport of hunting.  They have made it to easy.

Speaking of tree stands....................

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2014, 03:28:25 pm »
Jack.....you really believe that?

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2014, 03:30:00 pm »
If i remember right a bear and dogs are from the same descendants? Don't think i could eat dog meat

You've never seen the Asian cookbook, "How to Wok the Dog?"   :laugh:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 03:32:05 pm »
Greg... Okay the tree stand vid was just pathetic! Three solutions here

1. Hunter needs glasses
2. Hunter needs a scope
3. Hunter needs to get out of the tree stand!

Pic #2 - Thanks for the bootie shot  :laugh:

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 03:50:14 pm »
Back on topic lol  but no chance in hades would I bother with either of those emails infact my responses to them both would be both factual and memorable.

Lol just kidding:P

Is my pitriever better lol  golden retriever pit bull mix
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:05:24 pm by barry42001 »

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2014, 03:55:12 pm »
Now... Barry.... put.... the.... gun.... down... you're too pretty to go to prison

just kidding :P

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2014, 05:12:17 pm »
I would have a firmer grip on that pistol if it was that close to my jewel box. :o :laugh: Jack