Author Topic: You're kidding, right?  (Read 14877 times)

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
Re: You're kidding, right?
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2014, 05:28:55 pm »
That looks like a Smith and Wesson model 29 N-frame with target sights.  Those pistols have nice trigger pull. 

We have so many deer that we have open doe season where I live.  Each hunter in my county is allowed two doe.  I see 15 to 20 deer just making a drive around my ranch to check the fences after a wind storm.  A hunter can kill one spike deer, two doe, and two bucks with a horn spread of 13-inches or greater.  That's five deer per hunter.  Still, there aren't that many deer killed in our county as the population has steadily grown.

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2014, 07:08:07 pm »
Lol Jack, note finger wasn't in trigger well, lazy thats exactly what it is, 8.5 inch barrel. Very nice ( about 5 lb pressure on pull DA )
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2014, 07:58:21 pm »
Nice Model 29 Barry. 

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2014, 08:37:56 pm »

I am going to both agree, and disagree about hunting and baiting...

When you watch the famous Iowa hunting shows for BIG bucks.. 90% are over bait..   Not necessarily Feed or bait poured in ONE spot, but more likely a food plot. Beets etc along the edges of fields.....
   I have taken my share of deer. I have taken TWO VERY nice bucks. I had the ten pointer mounted, the nine pointer I didnt have mounted..  I will never shoot anything smaller than the largest buck I have to my name.  So the next one HAS to be bigger..   Bigger is not always easy to judge when that charge of adrenalin hits your heart..   BOTH of my big bucks were taken from the ground, spotted while I was moving.  MOST of the does I have taken were taken from the ground..  I have settled into my share of tree stands, and taken does from them.
   Eating a buck is not all that great, but they do make good jerky. I prefer a nice young doe.

I have hunted bear, I did it on foot. I hunted bear for 17 years in Maine..  In 17 Years of hunting, I SAW one bear..   correction.. I saw the hind end of one bear heading away from me as fast as he could go..
   I have never set a stand to hunt bear, i have never hunted bear with a dog..  However...  If you WISH to kill a bear in the continental US, your best chance of doing so is with dogs. Next is the baited stand.  IF neither of these methods were used, a LOT of bears would be destroyed in the cities and towns. I have moved back to Iowa, and will likely never have the opportunity in my lifetime to shoot a bear, and I do not regret that.
   As I get older, I do still like to hunt deer..   In Maine.. Deer hunting was not all that much fun.. it took a LOT of time and effort...  In Iowa.. it is more like planking rats at the town dump with a .22..    Even so...  a heated stand I could climb into and shoot from is starting to sound VERY nice..  It would sure make putting three or four does in the freezer a LOT more comfortable on my aging bones.....   My wife on the other hand....  No, I will get a call...
   "Hey, I got one down at 5 corners bottom how soon can you be here?"
    "But... But..  I just started my own hunt!"
   "Oh you'll be fine, Hurry up and get over here, I want to walk along the........  OOOH!  I see another one!"    BLAM!   "Bring your tag!"

Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2014, 08:44:43 pm »
"possum hunting is a lot easier. Just ride along at night until you see one, jump out and chase him down. Lift him by the tail and throw him in the trunk.   :P   ;D
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2014, 09:07:14 pm »
Iddee  you know when fainting fails they have s long snout full of long sharp teeth, lazy, also have a ruger .44 mag, decided on a two gun, one round system between the two anything from deer to polar bear can be taken ( mind you for polar bear might prefer larger caliber but this will work ).
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2014, 09:20:57 pm »
"possum hunting is a lot easier. Just ride along at night until you see one, jump out and chase him down. Lift him by the tail and throw him in the trunk.   :P   ;D

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2014, 09:31:30 pm »
:)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2014, 09:32:01 pm »
LOL!!   :laugh:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2014, 10:55:44 pm »
Scott- "If you WISH to kill a bear in the continental US, your best chance of doing so is with dogs.

Here is the saddest thing that has happened in California. Hunting bear with dogs is now illegal, as of two years ago. So Guess What Is Being Found High Up In The Hills, And On The Outskirts Of Town? ABANDONED HOUNDS! Lots of them!!!!!! My daughter was thinking of getting a dog for their family, children were then aged 3 and infant. I went to our local animal control station to check out what they may have, along with another animal rescue center. Hounds Everywhere! Because the owners were not able to use their hounds for hunting bear... they abandoned their dogs to die up in the hills, left them on the outskirts of town, or they dumped them off at the shelter. I was flabbergasted!

Scott- "In Maine.. Deer hunting was not all that much fun.. it took a LOT of time and effort..

That's what it is here as well, it's Hard Hunting here. Some years we have hunted into ablivion and haven't seen one doe let alone a buck for a week. Maybe 2 out of 6 hunters might go home with a buck at the end of the season. Other years there are bucks hanging in every tree, and a pile of them over yonder. Those are fun years, sure keeps up the moral amongst the hunters.

Scott- "a heated stand I could climb into and shoot from is starting to sound VERY nice..  It would sure make putting three or four does in the freezer a LOT more comfortable on my aging bones.....

Same as you and many of us on this forum, hunting isn't as easy on my bones either. My fav way to hunt now, is leave the house in the early a.m. travel 30-40 minutes, road hunt and take in the beautiful morning. Maybe do a short push, road hunt with coffee/irish cream, and the news on the radio, lumbering along the road. Work our way back home about 1pm, make breakfast, have a nap, then head back out around 4pm and enjoy the lovely evening... lumbering along...   :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2014, 11:54:08 pm »
Upstate New York, deer season starts Nov 1  - December 1 ( rifle season ) temps in mid 20s by day teens when your waking up to go to your hunting area, there will be snow which is a immense aid in scouting and trailing the herd ( I don't sit and freeze to  death or pouring coffee into my boots to keep warm lol ) snow makes for very quiet tracking.  Can get a very close if your paying attention.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:54:55 pm by barry42001 »

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2014, 12:11:03 am »
Yes... I love hunting in light snow, especially good if you're tracking a wounded deer, your chances of finding it and taking it home are near 100%. Unfortunately we haven't had snow in Sept/Oct in years.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2014, 08:24:02 am »
I worked for Halliburton many years, and a dozen or so of those years I did a couple of weeks on hunting camp duty.  The  main duty was finding wounded deer and dispatching them.  We had a couple of very good dogs, so we found almost all of the deer and finished them off.  My point is many hunters are not adequate shooters.  It would boggle your minds to see how many of our guest hunters were ignorant of their firearms. 

Hmmm, I'm trying to relate this to beekeeping, so in summary, I have never seen a bee eating on a deer carcass. 

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2014, 12:12:20 pm »
Lazy- That must be a sobering job to say the least! We had a fellow in camp once that simple couldn't shoot the buck square, knocked of a tail, knocked off a horn, knocked off a hoof, knocked off another hoof... by that time three other hunters stood up and dropped the poor buck. Times like that makes me want to snatch that rifle out of his hands and break it across my knee, give the hunter a three stooges slap, and that's putting it nicely ...  nuf said  >:(

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2014, 08:17:49 pm »
Yes... I love hunting in light snow, especially good if you're tracking a wounded deer, your chances of finding it and taking it home are near 100%. Unfortunately we haven't had snow in Sept/Oct in years.

We are exact opposites.  I hate being out in the cold (or heat for that matter).  If I could get the sliding glass door open without spooking the deer, I'd just shoot them from my recliner.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2014, 09:30:39 pm »
Greg-" We are exact opposites.  I hate being out in the cold (or heat for that matter).  If I could get the sliding glass door open without spooking the deer, I'd just shoot them from my recliner.

:D You are too funny!

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2014, 08:01:11 pm »
Greg-" We are exact opposites.  I hate being out in the cold (or heat for that matter).  If I could get the sliding glass door open without spooking the deer, I'd just shoot them from my recliner.

:D You are too funny!

Here's the view from the recliner.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2014, 08:43:11 pm »
Where is the crosshairs? :-D

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 09:10:28 pm »
Disgusting! just disgusting you two... Tsk tsk tsk. Shaking head and rolling eyes....

but something deep inside tells me you guys wouldn't really do it...    ;)   

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2014, 08:21:08 pm »
Disgusting! just disgusting you two... Tsk tsk tsk. Shaking head and rolling eyes....

but something deep inside tells me you guys wouldn't really do it...    ;)

If I'm able to, I'll post pictures.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs