Author Topic: Zweefer Incoming  (Read 4860 times)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Zweefer Incoming
« on: May 23, 2015, 08:47:54 am »

Zweef arrived at Lake Darling just fine last evening, I took him some wood and nitecrawlers for the kids to fish with, got to meet his wife briefly..   Impressive family, very nice, polite kids and his WIFE drove for 6 hours pulling the camper.. I forgot to ask if shes the one that backed it into the parking spot...   Zweef asked what the plans were for Sunday.. she smiled and shrugged..  Whatever...   OMG!  Shes a keeper!   ;D
   I'll beg my wife to take some pics...   Shes kinda mean and grouchy this morning..   
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Re: Zweefer Incoming
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:52:37 am »
Scott, just throw your chest out and tell your wife your the King and this is my Castle and hand her the camera. Geez, i had my wife planting green bean's in the garden last night while my brothers and i played cards. 8) Jack

Offline Curtchann

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 04:55:31 pm »
When and If you do take Jack's advise, please have someone video the results!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 08:29:31 pm »
Just remember, Jack had to have both knees totally replaced the last time he smarted off at his wife.   :laugh:
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 12:39:08 am »
Yah, now you tell me...   Its OK, Zweef is letting me use his crutches until i am healed up....

So I have come to realize, he was probably placed in Wisconsin, and I was placed in Iowa for a reason.. we'd get into way too much trouble if we lived closer together..
   Ted came down as well, and we had a pretty good time. The day went way too fast.. its like 11:30 and Zweef just left.. I had no idea it was that late...

*Sponsor*

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 12:42:14 am »
Had a great time!  Will post more later.  Need to get to sleep...
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 06:52:30 am »
PRICELESS PICTURE!
 :photos: :photos: :photos: :photos:

This was done in green because I am green with envy.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 09:48:32 am »
There was actually a bit of discussion about who needed to be met/visited..  and Perry, you were at the top of that list.  I do also intend to make the drive up to see Todd one day, just so both he and I can begin the hunt for Mrs' Rivers house..   Already have plans to visit Iddee..  One step at a time...  Maybe one day we can have a WWB Gathering.

My Grandfather once told me..  "Life is so short, that you can never meet everyone who would be your friend, so use the time you have wisely."

*Sponsor*

Gypsi

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 12:01:31 pm »
ok priceless pic but who is who in it?

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 12:10:40 pm »
Gypsi -  from left to right, Zweefer, tedh, lazyBkpr

And there stands three amazing men/beekeepers, who take care of amazing little creatures ~  ;)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Gypsi

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 04:03:12 pm »
Thank you Jen! 

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 07:48:35 pm »
scott, zweef, ted.........what an awesome photograph of the three of you guys!!!!  (the wwb shirts yeah baby!!!!........where was ted's?! LOL! ....... :D

neat photo guys!  this is the good stuff in life !!!

looking forward to more posts on the visit!

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 09:39:09 pm »
Once I get to better cell service, I promise a full report!
Henry David Thoreau

Gypsi

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 12:30:10 pm »

Scott's secrets are about to be exposed!

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 08:41:07 pm »

Scott's secrets are about to be exposed!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 09:00:06 pm »
Oh no, he was sworn to secrecy with a blood oath over a still beating heart JUST removed from a large animal, and placed in the coals of a bronze brazier while calling on the forces of evil and darkness to...  ok, maybe not, but it sounded good right?

*Sponsor*

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 09:34:54 pm »
It was a tasty barbecue!
Henry David Thoreau

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 11:12:03 pm »
"Oh no, he was sworn to secrecy with a blood oath over a still beating heart JUST removed from a large animal, and placed in the coals of a bronze brazier while calling on the forces of evil and darkness to...  ok, maybe not, but it sounded good right?"

lol, when the heck are beekeepers sworn to secrecy and can't keep it in? seriously?!............ :D :D :D
zweef, bribe ya for scotts secrets........ ;D :D  :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Zweefer Incoming
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 11:49:49 pm »
Okay.

First off Lazy neglected to tell me that every highway in his state is under some kind of construction or detour.

We arrived at Lake Darling State Park, after a long drive and set up with no issues.  (Beautiful park, and I'd recommend it to anyone who camps.) I promised Lazy I'd call when we were settled, so did so on my way to get some firewood and bait for the kids.   He told me not to bother, as he had plenty of worms and firewood, and he'd be right over.   
Literally ten minutes later, he drives up with enough wood to keep a fire going all weekend and still have about 4 pieces left (you'll have to trust me on this) as well as a bunch of worms for the kids.   So in the first 30 seconds of his arrival, he has made my wife happy (free wood) as well as my kids (FISHING!!!!!!).  And he proceeds to help unload said wood.  As kids do, after exactly 2 casts the line needed repair, so I set about helping my daughter get situated.  Before I could tie a new hook on, Lazy had finished unloading everything by himself (much to my embarrassment).
I invited him to stay for supper as it was almost done, but he declined as his wife had some started already at home. He left before supper to deliver wood and worms!

Plans were made to meet the following morning.

Having been given perfectly clear directions, I found myself lost on the way to The Outyard.  Once again, Lazy proves he was anything but and jumped on his bike to come and guide me there.

I had a list of questions I had written down as my memory lasts as long as a politicians promise, and we discussed everything from foundation issues to building and selling equipment to OA treatments to candle making. And that's just the bee portion.   Ted came by to say hello and to pick up some nucs that were ready for him.

We did an inspection of all the nucs so we could see what was available and then choose which ones we wanted. 

During the inspection, we noticed a few things.  First a huge spider being carried out by a lone worker. Stung several times... Guess they weren't too keen on their houseguest.  I noted as much and made a note not to overstay my welcome

We saw what I can only assume was an albino bee, as it had no color and its thorax's were almost silver in the sunlight. It was smaller than the others as well...

All the nucs were very strong. Here we are looking at a foundationless frame that was just starting to be drawn out

Eventually play time was over, as Ted had to go, so he chose his two nucs and got them all set to go

This is where the pictures stop, as this is where the rum started

I took a gamble and brought spiced rum, as it was never made known if this particular pirate preferred straight or spiced rum.  My gamble paid off, and I even had the pleasure of introducing a new brand to him. 
As you can see in the previously posted photo that it went over well.

We continued to talk and lunch was had.  Lazy grills a pretty good cheeseburger.  Discussion continued in a wide range of topics - how to get squeaky cheese curds to squeak after refrigeration (microwave for a few seconds) to why we are surprised we are both still alive (stupid stunts pulled in our youth).

After a short trip into town for supplies (store was closing and I promised I'd bring back some milk and other provisions) we continued to talk and look through some stuff set out for The Gathering next weekend. Fast forward to 11:30. Keep in mind my day started at 9:00 that morning.  Not sure where the time went.  Plans were made to continue the next day.

Rain.  Wouldn't be Memorial Day weekend without it....
In between waves of the stuff we managed to make it to one of Lazy's outyards and look at the hives there. Glad we did as he found a queenless nuc that had a capped queen cell ready to go. Was nice to see that, as well as how he transferred a frame of brood from one to give to another (I had asked about this earlier in terms of how many bees to take with it).

We loaded up the nuc after the next wave of rain died down with the only hitch being the #6 hardware cloth Ted left behind let the bees walk right through the entrance we just stapled shut.  Five minutes later we had the right screens cut and attached.

The only thing left to do was try some celebratory beer, which was fitting as it was my post here on that batch that brought this whole thing about.

Packed up this morning and made the drive home.  The girls are now at their new home, hopefully happy as can be. 

And if you are curious as to what my queen looks like?  Look at Lazy's avatar.

What a guy.  Thanks for the great weekend LaztBkpr! We will definitely have to do it again.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:13:01 am by Zweefer »
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Zweefer Incoming
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 11:52:39 pm »
I have left out a lot, so feel free to fill in Lazy...  And I didn't even touch on his shop, or Knitro the bee dog, whom I love.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 11:53:49 pm by Zweefer »
Henry David Thoreau