Author Topic: Your Best and Worst Hive locations...Post pictures!  (Read 4667 times)

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Your Best and Worst Hive locations...Post pictures!
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 11:43:11 pm »
Lee,
Bears are my biggest threat to hives here or even gardening. Lately feral hogs are becoming a problem but I don't know to what degree they threaten hives. I have a few yard dogs here to keep the bears away. The other day they took off after what I thought was a bear, When they came back had to take three of them to the vet. I'm not sure but the wounds look like could be boar tusks. "Thanks" to all the hog hunters who release them on government land.
 I shared all this cause I figured you might know a thing or two about them. I've heard Texas has serious feral hog problems.
You are not that far from Texas, glad the bear problem isn't here yet...But the feral hogs are definitely here.  I'm outfitted to see and shoot in the dark, but haven't had a hog browse in the yard for about 13 months and that one didn't make it home.   Hogs have not bothered my few hives yet.    :)
Lee_Burough

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Your Best and Worst Hive locations...Post pictures!
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 11:47:48 pm »
"I like your setup, RB. Is that a concrete pad? Was it already there?"

neil, thanks, yes the concrete pad and corn crib was already in place when we purchased the property, it's been a great place to put the bees primarily  because of bears. also protects from other critters as well.  after losing hives to bears elsewhere on the land, my bees went into this crib with some fixes and haven't looked back since. 

"I'd love to have a crib like that RB!  Very nice and organized hives, impressive.  A great spot!  It's amazing how each location has its own independent conditions.  Those bears are one problem I am glad we don't have here yet, but black bears are expanding their range in some parts of Texas.   :)"

thanks lee, nice and organized yes, i guess i am anal retentive.............. :D 
it is amazing how our locations have independent conditions!  very true! 
yes, the bears are a problem here, a major pest. we all have pests to deal with.........i think i'd rather have bears than shb, at least i can put up an electric fence to send them on their way...........shb, not so.....
this spot has always concerned me in the winter lee, some harsh winds blow through and not a great place without much protection. a choice for me, and a compromise on placement of my bees.

EDIT AND ADD:
"Neglected to acknowledge your gimp gear RB, and happy to see it out near the bees.   :occasion14:"

lol, thanks lee, i threw that in.........thought it might make you laugh!........
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor