Author Topic: How do you think this would work for extracting honey quicker  (Read 3986 times)

Offline tmrschessie

Part two actually explains the process better then part one. Tom

//

//">

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: How do you think this would work for extracting honey quicker
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 08:22:30 pm »
Well I'm Impressed! I haven't reached that stage yet but this looks... um... Easy Peasy!  :D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:09:10 pm »
Looks pretty snazzy!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 01:31:18 am »
i like to uncap the wax cappings for the wax using a maxant plane or uncapping knife.  i know some beeks like to use this method, and it works great for them. :)
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 08:44:36 am »
Cheaper (heat gun vs. hot knife) and easier maybe.....  But I would not say quicker.  I also wonder how many cells don't get opened up or the melted wax closes them off when it cools.

If you are only doing a few supers, than this may be the answer vs investing in a hot knife or plane.  Anything more than a couple of hives and I don't think so.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline tmrschessie

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 12:42:34 pm »
Cheaper (heat gun vs. hot knife) and easier maybe.....  But I would not say quicker.  I also wonder how many cells don't get opened up or the melted wax closes them off when it cools.

If you are only doing a few supers, than this may be the answer to investing in a hot knife or plane.  Anything more than a couple of hives and I don't think so.

Since I only have the old knives that have to be heated by water etc and watching how long it takes with a hot electric knife or planer and the number of cells that don't get opened, I would think this method would give the bees back the wax and some honey just like the other two methods. Just thought I would see what all you bee keepers opinion  was...keep em coming. Thanks, Tom

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 05:29:20 pm »
I have tried this way of uncapping and it dose work OK if the cells capping have the dry look. If the cappings look wet then they do not open fast and the wax and honey get over heated and the wax reseals over the cells.
The fastest other than the automated uncapper in my HO is a capping scratcher. but don't try to lift the cappings off just scratch them with the end of the tines into the cappings about 1/8" I will post a video of my friend Jim who uncaps this way and he can uncap quickly enough to keep up with the extraction from his 60 frame extractor.

This is a long video I found online that has uncapping with an electric knife, an electric plane and a bread knife, Starting at 6:48 of the video. There are other interesting things explained in the video also, fume boards for removing honey, winter super storage, dealing with plugged out brood supers.

Here is a video from Don the Fat Beeman on some of the uncapping kinves and his opinion on them.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.