Author Topic: Swarm Trap plans?  (Read 5479 times)

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
Swarm Trap plans?
« on: August 19, 2016, 08:17:55 pm »
Lots out there.... What is best? Measurement wise as I read that size matters  :D
Cheers, Bill

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Swarm Trap plans?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 08:23:47 pm »
If you can lay your hands on a copy of Tom Seeley's Honey Bee Democracy you will find he has done probably the most extensive research on swarm behaviour, and what they might be looking for.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 08:26:31 pm »
Most claim that a DEEP sized box works best. Maybe it does?   As I posted in the other thread, I have had swarms move into nucs. In fact two swarms moved into nucs IN my shed, the third swarm moved into an assembled medium.. assembled..   It was on a bottom board with a tele cover on it upside down. Both nucs and the medium ten frame were all in location and set up as they were.  When the first swarm moved into the nuc, I waited till late evening and moved the nuc to the yard with the rest of my nucs..  a few days later I had to move a second nuc..  about two weeks after that, I had to move the medium ten frame out to the yard..    I can't complain, they split themselves FOR me, IF they were mine..  I think they were, but After extensive searching I could not locate a hive that had queen cells....

MY OWN personal belief, is that the bees will move into what THEY like the best..   If you have a deep sized box set up properly, there is a good chance they will accept your invitation..  If you do not have deeps, then use what you have!

Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 11:12:57 pm »
I've been using 8 frame deeps for bait hives...Caught two this year, one in each bait hive out there.  Swarm Commander Lure is worthwhile too.  Dr. Tom Seeley has written a paper titled, Bait Hives for Honey bees.  It tells you just about everything you need to know.  You just make the best lure you can and put it in a good spot.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 08:14:39 pm »
Thanks and built the 8 frame deep version and have a good spot in mind to put it. Guess another question, I am in Arizona and we are just starting into our fall flow here now and a friend just captured a swarm last week. We really do not have a winter here except for a few odd weeks when temps can drop belpw freezing overnight. Our spring flow begins in mid to late January and continues through June and the intensity is dependant of winter rain.

So with that in mind would you set one or two out now, or wait until spring when swarming is the norm.... ? Our weather is very different and bees stay active most of the year...
Cheers, Bill

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 08:18:27 pm »
Set all you have out now and put a few drops of lure or lemongrass oil in them every 2 to 3 weeks. It will draw curiosity seekers now, and scouts when there is a swarm in the area.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 08:35:02 pm »
Will do, last question (maybe)  :laugh: one or 2 holes in the box and what size is best. Seems to be allot of variation between boxes and beekeepers.
Cheers, Bill

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 08:52:58 pm »
You will get NO agreement on that one, but 3/8 by 3 inch would be my choice.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein