Author Topic: Only a beekeeping forum would understand my excitment over this phone call  (Read 21579 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Yankee! I'm on the edge of my seat for the 'Continuing Saga of Yankee's Treasure Hunt'  ;) 8) 

I Love a good read ~
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Doing nothing is no longer an option as yankee as inquired if the location was registered so now the state inspectors know that they are there and if they don't get looked after the state inspector will.
unless he finds hives that had died out and nice had eaten all the comb and then a swarm had moved back in and drew out new comb. All the comb will be very old and should be replaced. At this time of the year while it is still early for the bees to build comb, I would put the queen on a frame in a new super and would shake all the bees in to the super with her. and if frames looked like they contained no diseases place them above a queen excluder for 21 days for the brood to emerge and then remove the old frames.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Well that's that then when the state inspectors are involved. This is going to be a good story  :bee:

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Let a bee inspector know of where old abandoned bees and equipment are and they will be there to get it cleaned up so it doesn't become a source for the spreading of disease. As Yankee has communicated with them and his intentions to deal with them the inspectors will be happy that an experienced beekeeper is taking care of it.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
Ok, did some work today and got some more info and pictures.

It appears there are a total of 10 hives and 7 are alive. 3 dead.

Here some pictures to show just how deep in this hedge row these things are buried.

Opened one of the dead hives

Bottom boards have collapsed and openings are covered with leaves and dirt. Only entrances are holes and cracks.

Got one dug out to where I could open it. Just lifted lid and looked to get a idea.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
Lol,

7 bottom boards
7 inner covers
7 tops
140 frames
140 foundations.

I'll be taking donations  :)

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
Apis,

I have not gotten state inspector involved at this time. I will in do time. Only reason I know it has never been registered is because I have map of the bee yards from the state and this one is not on the map.

But seeing what i saw today, I have no doubts I am doing the right thing here. These hives need new homes and time to get some good comb drawn before winter. This is very doable here. These hives are very close to soybeans that will be blooming starting in a couple of weeks. Plus I will be feding these to help them get built up.

At some point I will register these hives. I'm just not going to get them involved until I get more into this and see what they look like.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
If the 7 that are alive look like the one you took the cover off of it will be great. Those bees looks healthy. How is their temperament? if they were aggressive you would know by now with the brush clearing you have had to do.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
Now problems from any of them while clearing the brush.

Now when I opened that cover without smoke, they did what I would expect. This one is in the best shape of them all. They go down here from here. on the outside at least.

Will probably go back for a while tomorrow with a bottom board, deep and new frames. And maybe look into this one a little deeper.

I am gonna have to walk these hives out of this brush about 3 feet at a time. I guess I'll use blocks and just set them about 3 feet in front of the hive and move it forward. Then do it again a couple days later until I get them clear of he brush.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
I would love to be close to you and come and play I have rescued a few derelict hives and swarms that have entered old junk equipment. not knowing what you will find is is part of the fun. Mice nests in the hives, propolized mice.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Fascinating! Just Fascinating  ;D 

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
I had an idea last night. The old boxes that are in decent shape, I'll make swarm traps out of them. I'll probably have enough old comb to put a frame or two in each trap in the spring.

I bet that within 3 miles of this old yard is all kinds of feral hives that has swarmed out of these this place over the years.

The gift that keeps on giving..

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Nothing is for free, but you may have something that money can't buy.  I am glad for the bees that they have you tending to them.  You know the value of what you have, you have the knowledge to salvage them, and you have the desire.  This also makes for a summer project and a heck of a story!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Baker- "Nothing is for free, but you may have something that money can't buy.  I am glad for the bees that they have you tending to them.  You know the value of what you have, you have the knowledge to salvage them, and you have the desire.  This also makes for a summer project and a heck of a story!

Perfectly put Baker  ;)  This story will be like chapters in a book, each hive being a chapter

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
Chapter 1. or Hive #1  :)

This us the in the best shape. It actually was in pretty good shape. Bees were very gentle. To one sting. No hive beetles and I removed a couple of drone brood frames. I checked for mites and did not see any. Comb and frames just super old.

I looked and looked for the crazy queen. Couldn't find her then after all this was done I found her in the lid. The first thing I removed and set aside. I shook her off on top of the frames and down inside the deeps she went. Good brood pattern but there was no room in boxes. I used all worker brood frames, left some honey and discarde what frames I could and replaced with new. Checkerboarded in new frames/foundation.

I did reuse the brick that was sitting on the top cover. Sentimental.

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
 Looks great, one down with 6 more to go, good luck on all to be gentle.

Ken

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Awesome! I love seeing the new, fresh hive awaiting the new residents next to the old.  Are using as many frames as possible and/or tranferring brood comb over?

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
Yes, I was able to cull 10 old frames and install 10 new frames and foundation. Once they get these new 10 frames drawn I will start culling the other old 10. I will be doing rearranging as they recover. Figured I was intrusive enough for one day.

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
I kinda like this picture.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Yank, is that a queen excluder on top? if so, why so ??? Jack