Author Topic: Frames Used  (Read 21584 times)

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Frames Used
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2014, 08:08:49 pm »
let's say you go in and mess up the nursery, and place a honey frame in the center of the brood nest, what do the bees do?  the bees commence fixing what you just did.

Not so, I did just that last summer. Removed a frame of brood from the middle of the brood nest and put a frame of foundation in its place (yes I know, a rookie move but was in a hurry). What do the little darlings do?? well with the queen one one side of the foundation and no queen on the other side, yep they raised another queen. Two queens in the same hive divided by a frame of foundation.

I guess you could say they fixed what I messed up!
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2014, 08:34:48 pm »
I am sure the bees were quite happy with their solution!  Was that wax or plastic foundation?
Frank

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2014, 08:49:07 pm »
wax foundation. I had done a successful walk away split of sorts.

Bees are bees and do as thy please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline skydiver

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2014, 09:54:25 pm »
Not so, I did just that last summer. Removed a frame of brood from the middle of the brood nest and put a frame of foundation in its place (yes I know, a rookie move but was in a hurry). What do the little darlings do?? well with the queen one one side of the foundation and no queen on the other side, yep they raised another queen.
That is what is done when checker boarding a hive to reduce congestion to prevent swarming and produce more drawn comb and or make splits with the brood frames. I wonder if had you had not done so, if they would have still made a queen because they wanted to supersede her.
skydivers do not want to jump to a conclusion!

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2014, 08:11:37 pm »

Here is one for the nine framer!!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2014, 09:18:43 pm »
 Well that's just beautiful!
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2014, 09:21:00 pm »
...........and easy to uncap!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2014, 10:48:20 pm »
"Here is one for the nine framer!!"

........ :D
g3, that's a gorgeous thick frame of honey, was that one of yours?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2014, 11:43:20 pm »
Nope can not take credit for that one.

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2014, 02:51:04 am »
that depends. if you're using the deeps for brood rearing,  all 10 frames. If as a extracting super, then 9 or even 8 frames. The bees will draw the cells deeper in the 9 or 8 fame supers making them much easier to uncap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:53:03 am by barry42001 »
"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2014, 02:55:33 pm »

Here is one for the nine framer!!

barry i use 9 frames in a 10 frame langstroth brood chamber, we already had some discussion on it earlier, but this great picture that g3 posted is a medium honey frame.  i use 8 frames in a 10 frame medium honey super, and this is how thick my honey frames can get.  and yes, soooo much easier to uncap.
Forum Sponsor

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2014, 03:30:45 pm »
Won't you wind up with an extra amount of honey in with the cappings when the frames are that fat? How do you uncap? Cappings spinner? Hot knife? Plane? Scratcher?
Frank

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2014, 03:47:30 pm »
i use a maxant uncapping plane, and uncap into an uncapping tub. when all of the frames have been spun out, yes, then i use  cappings bags in my extractor to spin the remaining honey out.  the uncapping tub is what you buy anywhere. 2 parts, a metal strainer, and a filter. the cappings sit on top the strainer until i can spin them out, meanwhile honey is draining through the strainer to the bottom of the tub.  then i strain that again when it's emptied.  no cappings in the honey and some really nice wax.
Forum Sponsor

Ray

« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2014, 03:54:35 pm »
9 x 1 1/2 = 13 1/2
10 x 1 3/8 = 13 3/4
11 x 1 1/4 = 13 3/4
  All fit quite well in a 10 frame Lang (14 3/4 inside)
8 x 1 3/8 = 11
9 x 1 1/4 = 11 1/4
  Both will fit in a 8 frame Lang (12 1/4 inside)

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2014, 03:36:54 am »
i use a maxant uncapping plane, and uncap into an uncapping tub. when all of the frames have been spun out, yes, then i use  cappings bags in my extractor to spin the remaining honey out.  the uncapping tub is what you buy anywhere. 2 parts, a metal strainer, and a filter. the cappings sit on top the strainer until i can spin them out, meanwhile honey is draining through the strainer to the bottom of the tub.  then i strain that again when it's emptied.  no cappings in the honey and some really nice wax.
River in using a uncapping plane you can adjust the blade so you can remove the cappings with out removing the length of the built out cells. If a hot knife was used you would remove a lot more of the cell depth. and it a jiggle knife was used it would cut the wax flush with the top bar.  Also I have seen some baskets on extractors that are quite narrow so leaving the frames well drawn out and fat is not an option when getting the frames into the extractor.
There is not one answer or best way. It comes down to what works best for you with the tools at your disposal to get the job done.
Beautiful frame G3. And sorry for resurrecting this 120 day old thread, finally getting back to some of the posts on the old threads
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2014, 12:19:08 pm »
yes, it is adjustable, the maxant uncapping plane.  i set the depth according to the depth of the comb to the frame......when i uncap, i take no more off or as much off than one would with a hot knife. i use the frame edges (top and bottom bars)as a guide with the plane.  i don't uncap below that as i have seen done....i think perry fell victim to some unscrupulous beeks he paid to extract honey one year, and when his frames were returned, an uncapping plane had been used to harvest additional wax right down to the foundation.

Forum Sponsor

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2014, 02:54:49 pm »
But you can adjust so it only will remove  1/8" regardless of how drawn the frames are. Where some methods will always take it down to the top bar sides. I prefer to take off as little wax as possible. You are right about some that do custom extracting set the knifes as low as possible. I believe a Maxent chain uncapper was used on the frames of Perry's, they are noted for being hard on comb especially on new combs freshly drawn that season.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Beeracuda

« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2014, 04:43:25 pm »
"Simple answer for that one.   Supers are for honey. they can be deeps, mediums, or shallows. they go on above the brood boxes."

Ahhhh Finally a Simple Answer..... thaaaank yooooooou laaaaaaazy

Not exactly....  Have you seen this?

http://www.worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php/topic,1977.0.html

:laugh:

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2014, 05:25:30 pm »
"But you can adjust so it only will remove  1/8" regardless of how drawn the frames are. Where some methods will always take it down to the top bar sides. I prefer to take off as little wax as possible."

yes, this is the nice part about this plane, i do like to take a little more wax, but nothing below the depth of the frame, and i go a little higher.  less work for the bees to draw the next time around.  apis, when i looked at perry's pix, it appeared to me that a plane was used from the marks, not familiar with the chain uncapper, so maybe it would appear the same?
Forum Sponsor

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2014, 07:16:59 pm »
can not take credit for the frame of wide honey, not sure were I found the pic now.