Author Topic: TYPES OF TREATMENT?  (Read 26706 times)

Offline GLOCK

Re: TYPES OF TREATMENT?
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 06:56:54 pm »
I have Heilyser  works ok I wired a switch to it and ya have to put a cored on it but works.
When I need to buy another it will be the VARROX®-Verdampfer .
I even gave all my DBL. deeps {12} a brood break {30 days} and still tons of mites by JULY so this year coming spring I plan on doing alcohol washes on all hives and nucs  {25} total and treat as needed .
I want to play with fogging and essential oils since I have the fogger but I have my OAV just in case I know OAV works. I plan on working with 15 hives   and see witch ones perform  better and that  deal with VARROA best and buy knocking the mite loads down may give them a better chance at fighting back.
This hive  was like this all summer till I treated with OAV

then after two treatment.same hive 
That's why bees Abscond  this hive gave no honey but it had plenty of honey to get them till spring and are strong it's a 2 year hive was treatment free first year  treated this past SEPT. well over 10000 mites dropped from this hive.
Say hello to the bad guy.
5 year Beekeeper/40 hives/ treat{oav}

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 07:06:34 pm »
Here is a youtube tutorial on Heilyser Vaporizer. Get a cup of coffee, the guy praddles on a bit, but it's a good tutorial

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 07:10:09 pm »
Glock- 10,000 mites! Man! That's gotta make a bee sick! Geez! So glad your helping keep your bees clean.

By The Way! First time I've ever seen a black hive. Very Cool Dude!

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 10:58:35 pm »
Glock, unless i'm missing something? the picture above looks like a bad case of bearding? The black paint would make the hives hotter, but the hives do look good. Do they have top ventilation or screen bottom boards?I've not seen bees bearding like that because of mites, or are they bearding because used some type of treatment. Just curious. Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 11:20:56 pm »
Actually I was wondering that myself, classy looking hives, but might be hotter than hades in the summer ~ curious too

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2014, 12:25:20 am »
Just found the youtube from Fat Beeman on how to use oxalic acid vaporizer. It's an awesome vid.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2014, 08:21:49 am »
The fatbeeman's video of his OAV looks intriguing.  The only thing that keeps lingering in my mind is that my chemist pal tells me this procedure will leave a chemical residue in the hive.  That being the case, I am worried that the residue will be tracked into the honey.  I'm a petroleum engineer, and have a very narrow knowledge base of chemistry, but I trust my pal, who is a research chemist.  Were I going to use a chemical treatment, Don's video would be my first choice, but I don't want any unwanted chemicals in my honey.

Thanks for the video Jen.

Offline GLOCK

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2014, 08:29:58 am »
Glock, unless i'm missing something? the picture above looks like a bad case of bearding? The black paint would make the hives hotter, but the hives do look good. Do they have top ventilation or screen bottom boards?I've not seen bees bearding like that because of mites, or are they bearding because used some type of treatment. Just curious. Jack
Jack= the bee where bearding because of mite presser for sure. As soon as I treated the bearding got better . Now I have had  beekeepers think it was because of the color of the hive but I know better  this hive dropped so many mite if I didn't treat it in AUG. it would be dead today.
That hive at that time had a screen top cover a SBB and a top entrance . One thing I have learned if your bees are bearding really bad you might want to do a  alcohol wash and see where your mite loads are. I know the only two hives  out of 25  that bearded bad had heavy mite loads like I said the black hive had well over 10000 mite .
this is the other. They where the only two that had bearding going on to any amount . and both had crazy mounts of VARROA . All are humming away as of yesterday .
I go by experience ;D

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2014, 08:32:17 am »
Lazy, When I was a kid, a drop of kerosene on a sugar cube would unstop a congested kid overnite. Totally clear the next morning.
Aspirin is a petroleum product.  All petroleum products aren't necessarily bad for the human body.

Ask your friend how much residue might get into a human from the honey after using the oa vapor, compared to a drop of kerosene. I would guess the ratio of human intake would be billions to 1.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline GLOCK

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2014, 08:36:10 am »
The fatbeeman's video of his OAV looks intriguing.  The only thing that keeps lingering in my mind is that my chemist pal tells me this procedure will leave a chemical residue in the hive.  That being the case, I am worried that the residue will be tracked into the honey.  I'm a petroleum engineer, and have a very narrow knowledge base of chemistry, but I trust my pal, who is a research chemist.  Were I going to use a chemical treatment, Don's video would be my first choice, but I don't want any unwanted chemicals in my honey.

Thanks for the video Jen.
If you wait till the end of the year when ya pull the honey no worry's plus  I think oxalic acid  to some amount is in your honey already .  It's best to treat when there's no brood but if your mite loads are high treat OR PMS is sure to come.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2014, 09:03:36 am »
Can't argue with success, i have never seen or heard of a heavy mite load making bees beard? The main cause of bearding is,the hive is to hot and they need ventilation or the hive is congested and needs more room if it isn't already to late. (there going to swarm) Jack

Offline Marbees

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2014, 09:18:15 am »

[/quote] If you wait till the end of the year when ya pull the honey no worry's plus  I think oxalic acid  to some amount is in your honey already .  It's best to treat when there's no brood but if your mite loads are high treat OR PMS is sure to come.
[/quote]

Yes, oxalic acid is a natural ingredient of honey. There were interesting findings in Germany and Switzerland, where honey from colonies treated with OA had a lower % of oxalic then untreated colonies??? Bees are playing with us :)
Bee Remarkable

Offline Marbees

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2014, 10:04:31 am »
FYI From Apidologie

Apidologie 33 (2002) 399-409
DOI: 10.1051/apido:2002029
Determination of residues in honey after treatments with formic and oxalic acid under field conditions

Stefan Bogdanov, Jean-Daniel Charrière, Anton Imdorf, Verena Kilchenmann and Peter Fluri

Swiss Bee Research Centre, FAM, 3003 Bern, Switzerland
(Received 30 August 2001; revised 4 February 2002; accepted 1 March 2002)

Abstract
Formic acid and oxalic acid field trials for control of Varroa destructor were carried out in autumn according to the Swiss prescriptions during three successive years in different apiaries in Switzerland. The following parameters were determined in honey that was harvested the year after treatment: formic acid, oxalic acid and free acidity. The following range of values were found in honeys of untreated colonies: formic acid, from 17 to 284 mg/kg, n = 34; oxalic acid, from 11 to 119 mg/kg, n = 33. There was a small, but unproblematic increase in formic acid levels in comparison to the levels in the controls; average: 46 mg/kg, maximum: 139 mg/kg. No increase in formic acid was found with increasing number of treatment years. If emergency formic acid treatments were carried out in spring, the residue levels were much higher: average increase of 193 mg/kg, maximum 417 mg/kg. The oxalic acid content remained unchanged, even after two successive treatments during the same autumn. No rise of free acidity was encountered after a combined treatment with formic and oxalic acid during the three trial years.

Bee Remarkable

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2014, 12:03:27 pm »
Here's a link about oa and the food we eat. It's a natural substance in our bodies, our food, and our animals.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=48

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2014, 12:15:31 pm »
Here's a link about oa and the food we eat. It's a natural substance in our bodies, our food, and our animals.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=48

I wonder why they didn't mention honey? ???
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2014, 05:17:51 pm »

Couple of questions;
   If the recommendation is to be used during brood less times, they state November and December??  How will that help the mite loads in the fall of the following year?
    I am nearly convinced to try this..  Just not sure how waiting until there is no brood will help the bees that are going to care for the bees that will be wintering..   I usually apply Hopguard in August to make sure of the lowest possible mite load going into winter.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline GLOCK

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2014, 06:21:17 pm »
You can treat any time and it will knock the mite load back but going it to winter it's good to treat when all brood is hatched that way OA gets to the mites in the cells OAV will not penetrate capped cells  so any thing inside will be the next generation of VARROA and getting most{you will not get them all}you will have healthy winter bees.
I say do  alcohol wash's  spring/ mid summer /and fall / and go from there just keep a eye on your mite loads that's your job as the keeper. ;)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2014, 07:09:02 pm »
Glock!  ""but if your mite loads are high treat OR PMS is sure to come.""

Am I laughing out loud for the right reason here? PMS? OMG  :D

Offline GLOCK

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2014, 07:30:05 pm »