Author Topic: 1st Attempt at My Double Nuc Cloake Board Method-VIDEO  (Read 9590 times)

Offline DonMcJr

• MichiganOutdoorsman
1st Attempt at My Double Nuc Cloake Board Method-VIDEO
« on: June 13, 2014, 04:03:13 pm »
Well ALL 6 of my Bee Hives are going Strong! AWESOME Brood patterns in all hives!

I saw the new Queen Laying Eggs on Hive #6 which was a Split from the Nuc I bought that only had Queen Cells!

The Swarm I caught has a Queen for sure and her Brood Pattern was AWESOME!

The other hives are great 2 and #1 and #3 will have honey to harvest too!

Splitting #4 with my revised " Double Nuc Cloake Board Method" that should keep that hive Strong yet make Queens in both Nucs thus adding 2 more hives to my Bee Yard!

Here's a Video of the 1st Step of the Double Nuc Cloake Board Method which I came up with from the plain "Cloake Board" Method...

President/Founder of Pine River Beekeeping Club  Goodells, MI in St. Clair County
Check out our Facebook Page >>> https://www.facebook.com/PineRiverBeekeepingClub?ref=hl

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: 1st Attempt at My Double Nuc Cloake Board Method-VIDEO
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 09:38:46 am »
Didn't watch the vid yet..  Have company and they are sleeping, didn't want to wake them up..   How many queens are you trying to raise?
   With luck I will get my own queen rearing method on camera this week...
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:20:53 am »
That is a lot to digest but some good information! I love the area. Is that clover? Looks awesome! I think I was a little confused about when you moved the new double nucs. After they find the new entrance you created, then you close up the board to not allow them to come and go from the bottom box, right? Then once they start making a new queen, you move the nucs? How does that work as far as reorienting? Do you move them in the same yard? And what would be the advantage of this over just taking some frames of eggs and brood and bees and placing them in a nuc much like a traditional split. I think it's cool that you are experimenting with this!

Offline jb63

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 09:18:45 am »
Looks good Don,keep us posted.Take lots of pics.
I don't know.It was like that when I got here.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 02:16:26 pm »
tbonekel the advantage is you move up the frames of young brood above the excluder with few workers and make sure the queen is not on the frames. the young nurse bees will come up thru the excluder to care for the brood, populating the nuc with baby feeding nurse bees. a day or 2 later a fresh frame of eggs just hatched larva is added and a solid board is placed between the colony and the nucs on top. This makes the top nucs queenless so they will start raising their own queens. The nucs were populated with nurse bees to make and feed the queen cells without having to find the queen. Once the queen cells are started and well fed the solid division between the colony and the nucs can be removed and the queen excluder will keep the old queen from coming up and destroying the queen cells.
Don the nurse bees are going to enter into the nuc through the queen excluder. Only once the bees in the top nucs begin to orientate to the upper exit that the bees will return and enter their. Unless you force them to by closing off the bottom entrance and the bees would fan to attract the returning foragers to the new entrance.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline DonMcJr

• MichiganOutdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 09:46:20 pm »
I'm in the trial stages of this and once it works I'll post the whole process. I am at the stage where they made Queen cells in each Nuc and the whole hive is finishing them.

My plan is to pull the double nuc off this coming Wednesday IF the Queen cells are capped and place it in a new spot about 80 yards from my other hives. I will probably put some grass over the entrances so they re-orient to new spot. Also if it looks like the bees are returning to the original hive then I will grab a frame of capped brood that is almost ready to hatch to add to the nuc's numbers and them bees will then become nurse bees and the Nurse bees Foragers thus making them orient to the new location as they have not been outside the hive yet...

I split a nuc May 15th when I hived it and the bees all when to each new hive, at least enough in both to make them strong so I don't see the location close to the Mother Hive as being a problem but we shall see!

I also have 1 Two year over-wintered hive, A Hive from a Swarm, 2 package hives that are Italians and Carnies, a Nuc from a local breeder hive and I split that Nuc and the queen mated with local stock from around here. So my yard has quite the diversity.

Yes that is clover. My bees are in 2 acres of Clover I planted for them and my Deer Hunting... :)
President/Founder of Pine River Beekeeping Club  Goodells, MI in St. Clair County
Check out our Facebook Page >>> https://www.facebook.com/PineRiverBeekeepingClub?ref=hl

Offline DonMcJr

• MichiganOutdoorsman
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 01:45:50 pm »
Looks to be a Success!!! 8) I won't post the whole method until I trademark it LOL! JK I'll post it once I have 2 Nucs with laying Queens hopefully July 16th!

Here's the Double Nuc in it's new home about 60 yards from the Mother hive...

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 02:29:53 pm »
I doubt you will have much drift back of bees as it was young nurse bees came up through the queen excluder to car for the brood.

Offline DonMcJr

• MichiganOutdoorsman
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 10:11:27 pm »
That's what I thought too...we shall see...they were pissy today that's for sure!

Offline minz

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 04:02:11 pm »
I use the Demaree swarm control (moving a deep with all the capped brood above the supers above an excluder) always give the queen down in the lower deep to lay. Well I missed the reshuffle due to weather  and found an emerged QC so did not resort the boxes.  Yesterday I had a frame of eggs and a queen in the top box, same situation as you are creating.  I simply put a migratory lid where the QE was and slid back a top box so the top hive has a larger entrance than the small slit I leave it.  I have also put in  a half frame of wax into the lower hive (she has no place left to lay) I am going to have her lay on the new wax, cut the frame into triangles and then remove the old queen (ally method). I figure a hive with 8 full boxes should have the resources to make up a few good queens.
I killed my first queen (on purpose) yesterday and gave that non performing hive a QC.

Offline DonMcJr

• MichiganOutdoorsman
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 07:13:53 pm »
Well I went out to check on my Double Nuc today and saw the Coolest thing!

I saw the Queens returning from Mating Flights!!!! 8)

Even got Video and after the Queens I show all 6 of my Hives...

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 08:56:21 pm »

Sweet!! I have to admit I havent seen that with any of my queens yet, but honestly have not spent much time trying to. You just saved me the trouble!    :t3816:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline DonMcJr

• MichiganOutdoorsman
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 10:16:28 pm »
I got lucky... I have been going out and checking that Double Nuc Daily cause it's loaded with Nurse Bees and had Queen Cells but not many foraging... so today surprise! :laugh:

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 01:31:04 pm »
I would think it more the time of day that the hive is visited.

Offline DonMcJr

• MichiganOutdoorsman
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 11:41:49 am »
I would think it more the time of day that the hive is visited.

What do you mean by that? I visit the Hives all day long different times...

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 03:01:16 pm »
Some activity's like mating flights, are effected by temperature so it will not happen until the day temp has warmed so late morning to afternoon. But drone orientation flight school seems to always happen in the after noon regardless of temp.
The beekeeper who goes early to the hive to avoid the heat of the day, or the beekeeper that only looks at his hive after getting of work at 6 o'clock will not have the pleasure of witnessing some of the marvels you have shared with us Don. So keep visiting your hives at all random times during the day and thanks for posting all the interesting and great videos.

Offline DonMcJr

• MichiganOutdoorsman
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 12:20:09 am »
Got ya! I work Midnghts so I get to see the Hives at different times than the rest of the world!  :laugh: