Author Topic: And so it has started..  (Read 3494 times)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
And so it has started..
« on: April 14, 2015, 09:10:03 pm »
I went through hives today for the first time..  Meaning I actually inspected rather than peeking...
   WOW lot of drones...  Lot of Drone brood, and a LOT of incoming nectar and pollen... so the trigger was pulled...

My FAV queen was pulled from her hive and installed in a nuc with three frames of brood in different stages. A frame of brood, nectar and pollen, and a nearly capped frame of nectar/honey..  Another 5 frame box was installed above her with drawn comb...

FRIDAY morning, I will go into the old hive, and tear it apart, frame by frame.. and remove any started queen cells. I will remove the top box, and shake all the bees down into the bottom two boxes. I will give the brood in the top box to hives that need it..
   Friday afternoon.. I will go into the Nuc, and pull one of the frames of drawn comb.. one of those frames "should" have some 4 day old larvae in it...  I will cell punch 20 to 30 cells, put them in the bar, and settle them into the mother hive...   I'll check on them a week later and let you all know how its going!

I did not expect to see the amount of drones I did today, nor the amount of brood and incoming nectar and pollen.. I have some top boxes already over half full with capped honey..   I really.. REALLY hope we dont get a week of freezing cold now....
   How many drones do you see?

Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline mowarren

Re: And so it has started..
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 10:06:17 pm »

Friday afternoon.. I will go into the Nuc, and pull one of the frames of drawn comb.. one of those frames "should" have some 4 day old larvae in it...  I will cell punch 20 to 30 cells, put them in the bar, and settle them into the mother hive...

ok  can you explain the cell punching?

Offline Yankee11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 11:16:45 pm »
So Lazy, you pulled them through the winter?

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 11:49:41 pm »
Yeah Yankee....  Sort of...    I lost 12 of 43.   They more or less all survived on granulated sugar on the top bars from start to finish.

mowarren;
   you can see a bit about it here;
http://www.outyard.net/queens.html
   not quite 1/4 of the way down the page..    Basically you use a tool to slice out a cell with a new larvae in it, slide it into a JZBZ cup with a bit of warm wax.  When you have the number you want, put the bar into your frame and slip the whole thing into your cell starter.

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 06:46:02 am »
I'm jealous, I can still only peek into mine, probably another few weeks before I can safely pull frames. Still a couple feet of snow on the ground, but lots of bare spots.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 08:26:05 am »
 I hope the weather holds out for you also, this has been a bad winter for you guys above the mason dixie line.

Ken

Offline mowarren

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:53:27 am »
Thanks that's a great page , I'll save that and read again tonight

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 08:57:18 pm »
Five boxes became two this morning.  THere were SO MANY bees that I ended up making a nuc with the queen cells that had been started. 8 of them, well drawn out and filled with jelly..  so we will see if the bees in the nuc finish them.
   Ted and I punched 22 cells and put them on the cell bar and dropped it into the center of the now 2 box packed with bees hive.. they have syrup on top and lots of pollen inside...     I'll check in a few days and see if they accepted any of them..

*Sponsor*