Author Topic: First attempt at solar wax melter  (Read 3870 times)

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
First attempt at solar wax melter
« on: August 03, 2017, 09:27:24 am »
This is my first attempt at a solar wax melter.  It definitely needs some tweaking, but is the concept worked.

These are the components that I used.  Aluminum oven liner, perforated aluminum pan, smaller aluminum pan, black mixing trough, recycled window out of a storm door, and a broken brick and clay flower pot legs.

I bent the oven liner so that the wax would flow into the smaller pan.  Cappings are place in the perforated pan.  An oven thermometer was added to keep check of the temperature.

The glass was placed on top.  I put a broken wooden hive frame under the north end so that it tilted slightly south.

I used cappings that came straight from the freezer. An hour later, I check the thermometer, which was at 130 degrees and the wax was melting.  I had to leave for about 4 hours.  When I returned home the perforated pan had slid down the oven pan and the wax had hardened.  The small pan used for collecting the wax had done it's job. 
I would like to finding something different that the black trough.  It is not food safe, so any wax that comes in contact with it couldn't/shouldn't be used for cosmetics.  It's also not as deep as I would like.  I also need to keep the perforated pan in place. But, the concept worked.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: First attempt at solar wax melter
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 09:39:16 am »
We use the legs from pantyhose to strain the gunk from the wax.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 07:23:57 pm »
I broke my second homemade solar melter during the winter when I threw some frozen snow on it. :sad:
I kind of put it out of my mind until this spring when I needed it and remembered what happened. I got lazy and decided to buy one from the local bee supply store (use it or lose it). It was $250, but worth it. I can really load this thing up it's so big, and the biggest bonus is that it can do metal queen excluders, something my old one was too small to do.
https://www.countryfields.ca/products/solar-wax-melter

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 08:07:55 pm »
There is something to be said for "use it or lose it."  I try to spread my $$ around to all the locals.  Since I lack a lot of skills I rely on them for wooden ware, etc.  I thought I might be able to tack this one.
Perry, what's behind that drawer at the base?  A catch basin?

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:38:32 am »
That is exactly what it is.  :yes: You can open the hatch to harvest the wax. I use a kitty litter pail I have cut down and modified, pour a couple inches of water into it and I'm in business.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 03:09:52 pm »
SKIP DIVING and RECYCLING

In the UK we do not get sunshine and temperatures that parts of the US get.

To make the case, I have used the discarded building insulation material which has a dense polystyrene core and aluminium foil surface. My collecting trays are the microwaveable trays that convenience meals are packed in. These trays do not distort when the heat rises and a short period in the fridge makes it easy to pop out the wax.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 03:28:21 pm »
Barbarian needed to think to get the translation.
Skip Diving??? Dumpster Diving!! Good thing we all speak the same English. Have to remember that one but to be honest I know this English Bloke and I have heard him use that term.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.