Author Topic: Knowing Your Old, (Fencing)  (Read 6098 times)

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
Knowing Your Old, (Fencing)
« on: March 17, 2015, 10:38:28 pm »
Never thought i'd ever hire fence builders, but the wife talked me into it. Two men (in there 30's) came with two trailers of equipment, took the old wire down, pulled all the old T steel post and hedge post, put new T steel post drove 4 in pipe 4 ft. in the ground every 50 ft. (this is a 1/4 mile fence) set another corner post in another field, rehung three gates in ONE DAY :o. The next day ( Today) they took i/4 mile of woven wire fence down, pulled  and put all new steel T post in and new woven wire with one strand of barbwire on the top in 5 hrs. ???. Of course they had all kinds of equipment, but i wouldn't of believed it if i hadn't seen it with my own eyes. I can go Fishing now. :yes: Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Knowing Your Old, (Fencing)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 11:41:29 pm »
I'm with the wife on this one, Jack! Glad it went well for you  :)  I can smell the fish rolled in cornmeal and frying in the pan  :)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:47:07 am »
Sometimes it just makes sense to pay the pros.
Three years ago the roof of our house was completely stripped, new roof felt and completely reshingled in less than 5 hours! When I got back from lunch the only sign a crew had even been there was the tarped trailer full of scrap shingles hadn't been removed yet.
I'm with you on this one Jack. ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 11:27:31 am »
LOL jack!  priorities!

"I can go Fishing now. :yes: Jack"

ps we will be doing the same, not doing anymore of the fencing.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 08:09:53 pm »
That sounds like an expensive endeavor.  I have found that someone that does something all the time knows all the little tricks and has some tools that ordinary guys wouldn't know about.  Having the right tools makes all the difference in the world.  Plus, these guys could probably put up a fence in their sleep.  I let the pros do most of the big jobs around here now.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 09:24:39 pm »
It was Expensive, but worth every penny, i had all the material. For several years when i sold cattle i would buy 100 T post and 5 rolls of barbwire and store it in the barn, i think i bought the T post for $1.75 ea and barbwire $22.00 a roll back then 8). that's only a dream now a day.My wife said they worked 16 hours at all they done here, it would have taken me close to a month doing what they done by hand :o I think my wife earned a trip to Red Lobster for talking me into it. :laugh: Jack

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 12:55:43 pm »
Of course the trip to Red Lobster lets you off on catching fish cleaning them and doing the cooking and clean up afterwards.

Used to work part time doing sea walls with a guy. We could drive 300 ft in just a couple hours drill the holes for the retainers and bury the retainers 25 feet to the anchors and cap the whole thing. Guy hired the job out to us because his neighbor did his own saved $140.00 and took a month.

;D  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.