Author Topic: dry canning grains?  (Read 8604 times)

Offline Grandma Bear

dry canning grains?
« on: January 20, 2021, 09:32:13 am »
I'm sick of keeping our grains in 5 gallon buckets...my fingers are wrists are tired of wrestling lids and my back no longer loves me when I wrestle the filled buckets out from under the stairwell. Someone told me to dry can our grains instead but I'm struggling to find information on the proper processes. Doesn't it overdry the grains?

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: dry canning grains?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 10:50:37 am »
I have never dry canned and never heard of it.  I did find this. https://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/safefood/2020/06/09/say-no-to-dry-canning/
This article offers two alternatives.  My first thoughts went to vacuum sealing.  Vacuum sealers and the appropriate bags can be expensive.  I have known people that swear by them. I guess in the long run it would pay for itself.
The following users thanked this post: Grandma Bear

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
dry canning grains?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 08:54:23 am »
I store my grains in 5 gal pails with screw top lids... you can buy them at any hardware store... saves on the headache of prying the lid.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Companion-5-gal-and-3-gal-Screw-Top-Bucket-Lid-in-Black-LD5GRLBK006/303808738

https://www.menards.com/main/housewares/cleaning-supplies/brushes/the-gamma-seal-reg-lid/4122p/p-1527143413204.htm

https://www.amazon.com/5-gallon-bucket-twist-lid/s?k=5+gallon+bucket+twist+lid

Don’t know what to tell you on the weight however....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:55:19 am by Zweefer »
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Grandma Bear

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 09:54:32 am »
Thank you! Y'all are the bestest   :yes:

My oldest son is getting me some tiny scooter type stands for the buckets to sit on, so all I will need to do from now on is roll them out by the handles. This getting older thing ain't for sissies I'm telling ya. Some of y'all said I'm young at 50....well, this 50 year old mom of 5 and grandma bear to 11, has raised 22 children, was a firefighter for a decade, worked as a roofer from 13-19, worked on farms with kids in tow from 21-25, and took wonderful care of everyone BUT myself FEELS DEEPLY every second of all of those wonderful years  :laugh:

I'm still going...just slower and now it hurts  8)

Offline Gypsi

• Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 05:35:22 pm »
If it hurts don't do it, if it's arthritis, well I sent you a recipe for a remedy I take.  And I love the cheat your son got you.  But screw on tops are surely easier.  My question is what is the difference between dry storage in buckets and dry storage in jars?
Fishkeeper first, beekeeper second

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 10:02:00 am »

My oldest son is getting me some tiny scooter type stands for the buckets to sit on, so all I will need to do from now on is roll them out by the handles. This getting older thing ain't for sissies I'm telling ya.
I have my extractor setting on a barrel dolly.  My extractor isn't THAT heavy, but it sure is nice to be able to roll it around.

Offline Grandma Bear

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 08:17:38 pm »
If it hurts don't do it, if it's arthritis, well I sent you a recipe for a remedy I take.  And I love the cheat your son got you.  But screw on tops are surely easier.  My question is what is the difference between dry storage in buckets and dry storage in jars?

Thank you for the recipe Gypsi!! I definitely will be giving it a try.

Shelf space and shelf life would be the biggest differences I reckon. In the buckets I can seal grains in mylar with the dessicant packs and they will be good for years. I don't think just pouring them into jars would extend shelf life much...thus the research into dry canning. Since the little dollys, which I think were originally intended for large plants work so well I'm not concerned anymore. The lids were giving me fits though, I smashed my right hand up really bad last summer and it doesn't like to grip and pull at the same time...the screw on lids are going to be heaven for me when they get here.

I hadn't thought of using something like that for extractors and other stuff!!!  :o ;D  I hope my son remembers where he got those!

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 09:45:44 am »

I hadn't thought of using something like that for extractors and other stuff!!!  :o ;D  I hope my son remembers where he got those!

I found mine on Craigslist.  Nice man and he was extremely cautious.  He was obviously a repeat seller on CL.  He was making mental notes about me and my truck as well as asking me questions to see if I was consistent about why I wanted the dolly.  :D

Also, unfortunately there are a lot of businesses going under now days.  You might be able to find something at an online auction if your son forgets.  I have been picking up bits and pieces of commercial equipment for honey processing.