Author Topic: DIY inner covers (part 1)  (Read 5217 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
DIY inner covers (part 1)
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:26:46 am »
While many of us as hobbyists usually end up getting started by buying all of our beekeeping equipment, those that decide to expand any amount can quickly come to the conclusion that it is not cheap.
Only being able to buy things like deeps for close to $20, I quickly realized there has to be a cheaper way. Building a lot of my stuff has saved me a lot of money and inner covers is one thing most of us can do. (if I can, most anyone can).
First, just mill some scrap lumber (I like pine) into 4 pieces, 2 of which are 16 3/4" in length and 2 that are 19" in length.
Then rip them so they are 7/8" x 1 1/4".

Then set up your table saw to run grooves down the center of the narrow edge a little wider than 3/8", and 9/16" deep. This can be done with dado blades, or simply making a few passes using a regular blade.

Now take your pieces that are 16 3/4" long, and cut in on both ends 1 1/4", and 3/4" deep.

You should now have something that looks like this on both ends of your 16 3/4" pieces.

This finishes the "hard" part, Now come the assembly (part 2).
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter