Author Topic: Business Cards  (Read 19424 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Business Cards
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 02:37:25 pm »
Hey Ef.
The wording on the back of my card is a simple "quote" if you will, off of small round stickers that I used to buy at 4 cents a piece. I try to tell folks that honey that doesn't granulate over time should be regarded with suspicion.
I am completely open to revision however, as I am almost out of cards and will have to place a new order soon.
How about it folks? What kind of wording would describe things best?

PerryPoo??  :D  I think my wife is pretty secure in the knowledge that I would never do anything to harm her in any way. She had been so good to both me and our son that I can't imagine ever doing anything untoward. If you all only knew how well she treats me you would be amazed. Since our son started school 7 years ago, I have not worked a regular 9 to 5 job, relying only on her income and the incidental money I drag in  (dribs and drabs). This decision was made at her request when it came time for one of us to stay home. Since moving to the Valley she now gets to work from home so I have the pleasure of her company during the days as well. I'm a lucky guy.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 04:06:56 pm »
How about it folks? What kind of wording would describe things best?

How about something like, "Honey out of beehive is subject to granulation, unlike honey from the store that has been filtered and processed so that it won't granulate.  Granulation is a sign that it is TRUE honey."
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 05:01:55 pm »
perry, mine is similar to yours....my HO, keep it simple.......i use the stickers:

"All pure honey granulates-some in a week or so and some not for several years. To liquefy place the container in very hot water (but not boiling) and let stand until completely liquefied."

on my planet 'all pure honey' works for me.

the only reason i use the sticker is cuz some folks like to put plastic containers in the microwave.....KABLOOEY........... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Edward

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 06:09:47 pm »
Local natural unprocessed honey directly from the beekeeper could bee a start.

mvh Edward  :P
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 01:55:31 am »
I would suggest starting with something like this: Granulation over time is the true indication of Top Quality Honey.....

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 07:42:35 am »
This may be a little off topic, but what exactly constitutes "processing"?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 10:30:29 am »
This may be a little off topic, but what exactly constitutes "processing"?

When I think of as processing, I think of heat, high pressure and filters.  Much different than extracting and bottling:

Honey often gets contaminated with bee-wax, dust and atmospheric materials. Honey is a perishable product in the sense that its quality deteriorates, as it is a biological product. Fermentation occurs in honey under certain circumstances due to presence of yeast which spoil honey. Hygienic precautions, therefore, are necessary while handling honey from time to time right from the stage it is extracted.

Honey has a tendency to absorb atmospheric materials i.e. dust, moisture etc. if kept open to atmosphere. Therefore it becomes moral obligation to supply honey in natural form as far as possible and for this it is necessary to process honey for removing foreign particles, destroy yeast and remove/reduce extra wax, moisture and bacteria's to desired level to prevent fermentation, so that it could be acceptable to ever conscious in local and export market.

Honey contains pollen, the dust and air bubbles, which tend to induce crystallization. The crystallization can be retarded by heating honey to 45 C to dissolve crystals present in honey. Filtration then removes part of pollen, foreign particles and wax. To prevent fermentation and to destroy yeast, honey is heated to 60-65 C for specific time period. Proper temperature control and heating time is most important factor in processing of honey.

The processing of honey is divided into three steps.
a) Filtration to remove wax, foreign particles after heating honey to 45 C.
b) Honey than heated to 60-65 C for 10-15 minutes for destroying yeast and other bacteria.
c) Cooling the honey to atmospheric temperature and storing in closed vessel for 24-48 hrs. to allow air bubbles to go up and then packed and sealed immediately.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Leather Jim

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2014, 02:44:16 pm »
Might as well be corn syrup after all that. The accepted limit in the herbal community is 104F. After that you begin losing all the benefits

Jim

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 07:10:47 am »
I think Jim has the right idea. I think if you don't heat honey above what the core temps are in the hive you would be safe.
Forum Supporter