Author Topic: Honey harvest 2022  (Read 968 times)

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Honey harvest 2022
« on: August 22, 2022, 09:45:55 am »
How did we all do? 

I had 2 hives and a 5 frame nuc (4 stories at harvest) that netted me just shy of 240lbs (20 gallons or so).  I also had 2 freeloader hives that did nothing for me this year. - one went through three queens, so I never expected them to develop into much, and the other was the hive I used for the observation hive at events and the fair, so they were stressed and behind all summer.

I also used 3 frames for cut comb honey, not counted on the total above.

Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline PappyRick

Re: Honey harvest 2022
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 09:15:52 am »
I ended up with 285 pounds in three separate harvests on 6 hives sporting one super (2 had two supers).  Still have one super on one hive b/c the queen started laying in the super (two frames).  Had to dehumidify on my last harvest since most was uncapped.  Treating with Oxytetracycline now, with plans to follow up with MAQS in September.  Having some real concerns with SHB currently.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 05:44:34 pm »
We harvested 35 gallons off of 6 hives.  Not great but not bad.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 04:24:48 pm »
FINALLY DONE!!  We had all sorts of stuff come up, but I've AT LAST actually bottled the last of it!  My total comes to 11.5 gal. from basically 5 hives.  I've got 6 hives right now, but one was a late split, so they didn't make any honey this year. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.