Author Topic: robbing/cleaning honey frames  (Read 954 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
robbing/cleaning honey frames
« on: September 01, 2022, 06:25:33 pm »
i have a surplus of deep frames that are partially full of honey. i'm tired of them leaking honey in the bee shed so i put them out for the bees to rob but noticed that the girls are slow to clean the capped honey. would it help to hit them with an uncapping scratcher first??
i especially don't like having to leave them out overnight cuz it exposes them to wax moths, coons, & opossums.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: robbing/cleaning honey frames
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 07:46:03 pm »
Yes, scratch the cappings.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 08:14:37 pm »
thanks?

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 08:15:53 pm »
i have a surplus of deep frames that are partially full of honey. i'm tired of them leaking honey in the bee shed so i put them out for the bees to rob but noticed that the girls are slow to clean the capped honey. would it help to hit them with an uncapping scratcher first??
i especially don't like having to leave them out overnight cuz it exposes them to wax moths, coons, & opossums.
I've had the same experience.  Just scratch them open and the bees will to the rest.  I do the same with brood for the chickens sometimes. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.