Author Topic: Traditional Skills Summit  (Read 2362 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Traditional Skills Summit
« on: September 10, 2022, 10:32:46 am »
I just wanted to share this with anyone who may be interested.  Some of you may be familiar with the Homesteading Family on YouTube; they are hosting a free online conference called the Traditional Skills Summit, which will run Monday-Thursday this upcoming week (9/12-9/15).  My family is basically dedicating our entire next week to this.  The speakers they have are amazing and extremely knowledgeable in their respective fields.  Part of this event is to kick off the new School of Tradition Skills, which does have a paid membership, but this event is entirely free, and doesn't require you to sign up for the whole school program if you don't want to.  It seems like an amazing opportunity to learn about homesteading and self-reliant topics.  https://www.schooloftraditionalskills.com/
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

Re: Traditional Skills Summit
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 07:39:52 pm »
We have seriously enjoyed this summit so far, and there is still one more day, but it has been so educational that we have actually signed up for the paid subscription to the School of Traditional Skills, and we are not the kind of people who subscribe to anything lightly, or really ever.  I just wanted to let people know if they are interested in this sort of thing that the paid membership is EXTREMELY cheap right now, a "Founders Special" that is only through Monday to celebrate the launch of the school, which is one of the reasons my family signed up.  Anyone who is interested in homesteading, gardening, traditional cooking, or self-sufficiency, I'd encourage you to at least take a look at this because it's an amazing resource. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 11:02:12 pm »
Interesting... JUST saw this! What types of traditional skills are we talking about?
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline The15thMember

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 11:51:57 am »
Interesting... JUST saw this! What types of traditional skills are we talking about?
All kinds of stuff.  I can't tell you how much we are learning, it's an amazing program.  So far we've complete the classes on fermenting, garden season extension, pasture reclamation and management (with Joel Salatin, I'll never look at land management the same way after this class!  Incredible!!), raised bed gardening, making bone broth, and herbal first aid.  They add new classes frequently, roughly once a month or two, and they really listen to their members as far as what upcoming classes people are looking for and would find helpful.  The newest class is about knife sharpening and care, which we REALLY need.  They also have classes on the basic care of goats (which my sister who has goats vouches is quality), salting and curing meat, raising chickens for eggs or for meat, and pressure canning.  In production right now are basics of beekeeping (will be interested to watch that for critiques' sake), caring for a milk cow, and homestead planning.  It's not cheap (we got the founder's special pricing, so I'm not sure what the regular price is), but it's worth every penny, let me tell you.  The classes really focus on giving you the knowledge and confidence to start doing something, without having to sift through everyone's opinions online or in random books.  While obviously many courses are only a cursory look at the basics of a skill, I always feel I have the confidence I need to either start and learn by experience, or the foundation to be able to learn more through other materials.  The instructors are true hands-on experts in their fields, and the production quality of the lessons is fantastic.  I couldn't recommend the school enough.   

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 02:18:10 pm »
WOW! We already do a lot of the things you mentioned. I'll go check it out! TYVM!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*