Author Topic: Meat Bees  (Read 3323 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Meat Bees
« on: September 14, 2022, 10:33:15 pm »
I heard someone call yellowjackets "meat bees" today.  Has anyone else ever heard that before?  I have to admit it kind of drove me crazy.  As if people aren't confused enough about what is and is not a bee.  :-X
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Meat Bees
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 07:39:35 am »
Never heard that term before.  I agree, we don't need more confusion.  Many people confuse honey bees and yellowjackets.  This time of year yellowjackets seek protein and will consume raw meat.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 12:11:34 pm »
Yep! In the deer and big game hunting world Meat Bees is a common term. We hunters bring our fresh kill back to deer camp, and proceed to hang and drape the carcass from a tree branch for a couple days. As soon as fresh meat is back in camp, here come the Meat Bees, the yellow jackets, they are hungry as well. If we bring a deer home to our garage to hang and drape, my honeybees couldn't care less.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 10:48:52 pm »
Yep! In the deer and big game hunting world Meat Bees is a common term. We hunters bring our fresh kill back to deer camp, and proceed to hang and drape the carcass from a tree branch for a couple days. As soon as fresh meat is back in camp, here come the Meat Bees, the yellow jackets, they are hungry as well. If we bring a deer home to our garage to hang and drape, my honeybees couldn't care less.
Okay, I can kind of understand that term arising in that sort of situation.  But not enough to not correct someone who used it.  ;)  :)
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 07:31:55 am »

Okay, I can kind of understand that term arising in that sort of situation.  But not enough to not correct someone who used it.  ;)  :)

Yellowjackets are wasps not bees.