Author Topic: New addition  (Read 6913 times)

Offline rcannon

New addition
« on: April 13, 2014, 08:39:04 pm »
Say hello to Rosie, born this morning. She's already up and running.

Offline rcannon

Re: New addition
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 08:42:28 pm »
Sorry about the sideways pictures. I thought I had that figured out.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 08:45:24 pm »
Awwe Sweet! Spring is here  :)

That's okay, it's not hard to turn my laptop sideways  ;D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline rcannon

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 08:46:58 pm »

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 08:48:06 pm »
Sweet!

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 09:24:29 pm »
I also had a new addition last Friday, had to reach in and bring a calves front leg forward that was doubled back, put chains on it's hocks and pull it out. It was this cows second calve and i guess it hurt her enough that she hasn't taken it yet and kicks at it, so i put a halter on her and put her in the crib twice a day, tie her to a post, put a rope around her flank and twist it so she can't kick and the calve can suck. She is starting to settle down now and will probably take it in a day or two. Hope your having better luck with your new addition. ??? Jack

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 09:29:46 pm »
Ahhh Geez Brook, farm life has always appealed to me except in cases like that... Wishing both of you the best recovery  ;) 8)

Offline rcannon

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 09:33:33 pm »
Sorry to hear that,Jack. They're tough to tend to when the mama doesn't want to help.
This donkey wouldn't let the baby nurse for several hours. We had to back her into a corner to make her let it nurse. She seems to be warming up to her now.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 09:59:13 pm »
This isn't nothing new, been through this several times sometimes it's worse,when they get this way you can get hurt and i sure don't want to injure my new knee :o. If it goes on very long i can sometimes ask the old cow if she ever heard of McDonalds? and i don't mean Old McDonalds Farm and it gets there attention. :D Jack

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 10:22:24 pm »
LOL  Don't I wish it was that easy!!
   Formula and bottles are always nearby just in case.   Carrying a new calf through the mud and slush up out of a draw, with a ticked off mama not happy about the transfer is always fun too. I have been sent tumbling a few times..  Now I own a cattle prod with a stunner modified into it..
     Go ahead, try to flip me arse over elbows because I am carrying your calf!!!!!!!
    Usually only takes ONE time and they stay WELL clear of me..  I like the cows that are afeared a lot better than the ones that are not.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 11:19:04 pm »
 :D

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 10:59:14 am »

four little kittens that have yet to find there mittens

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 04:44:16 pm »
Awww...  kittens are so MUCH fun...  then they grow into cats....

wifes cat tries EVERY day to schmooze up to me...  I have no clue why it wants in MY lap... it will ignore everyone and rub its head against me till i push it away.. it jumps in my lap and I have to put it on the floor the first time.. push it on the floor the second time, THROW it on the floor the third time.. then it decides its not going to see what happens on number four...
   I have come to the realization cats are like women..  ignore them they chase you.. chase them they ignore you... 

*Sponsor*

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 05:11:04 pm »
Cute donkey and kittens, nothing better than newborns on the farm.

Had a first time heifer having a little trouble one night, had the calfs head out but was having trouble with the shoulders. She laid down and I was going to slip up behind er and give a tug on the little fella to complete the deal. She spooked, jumped up and swung around slinging the calf on the ground and headed for the woods never looking back. I got the calf to bawl a little but she was not having anything to do with it, still in the woods. Put the calf in a corral for the night figuring mama would be there in the morning. Nope still in the woods. Finally get her in the corral with the calf but she was wanting to kick the little fella. Brought in the squeeze chute to hold her while I got the calf to suck, had to bribe her with a bucket of sweet feed to get her loaded in the chute. After about three days when I pulled up to the corral she would run into the chute and lock her head in ready for a sweet feed treat. Crazy ol' cows!
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 05:58:28 pm »
Dad and I keep around 50 momma cows.  They can bee nutty come calving time.  One year dad got the bright idea to tag and band the calves after being born.  I spent two hours trapped in a hay ring, dad made fun of me all that summer.  The next year he spent 3 hrs in the same feeder :laugh:  Everything gets done now going through the chute at spring round up.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 05:59:38 pm »
yep... almost as bad as horses...

Someone say there were free apples in here?

*Sponsor*

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 07:35:14 pm »
If I can get to a fresh calf, they will get banded and tagged on the spot. After day two....forget it, they got their legs under them. Yep been tossed around a time or two myself, pretty funny being stuck in the hay ring.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 09:01:15 pm »
I'm still having to put the cow in the head gate so the calf can suck from behind, don't know if she's going to take it or not? She butts and kicks at it when the calf gets to her side, one thing for sure, i don't need a  mourning and afternoon job to go along wuth everything else when the sun shines. >:( Jack