Sustainable Living > Farm Livestock

Price of Beef

(1/10) > >>

Dunkel:
I just received the check from Monday's sale.  The price of beef is going up.  I sold six calves that were out of wack from the rest of the herd.  They averaged 1000 bucks a head.  That was 2 dollars walking around weight. They were also calves that got through the winter on only hay.

By the time they get up to slaughter weight, I would hate to know the asking price in the stores and restaurants.  Stock up now on any sale because its not going to get any better.

blueblood:
That's good news for a couple buddies of mine at work.  The tried their hands at raising a couple for slaughter.  They have a few more months to go.  They would swear it's not worth it so far because of the the several times after work they have to tend to them. 

LazyBkpr:
Thankfully I live in beef country. I always get calls asking if I want half a cow..  just filled the freezer about a week ago. The hog confinements nearby are always culling pigs if they get a cherry or other injury and I am on the call list. Often I can put them in a pen and finish them before butchering, if not they go straight to the local locker.  Being a meat and potatoes guy is a lot easier living in this area.

riverbee:
hey dunkel,
we purchase our beef(steer) direct from a local farmer, (black angus)  every year for the last 15 years, organically fed, etc.  nothing better. haven't purchased any beef in a store since then.  the only time we do is when we are traveling or putting some beef in someone's freezer to help them out.
when i do look at prices and now i see the prices on packages marked black angus......YIKES!!!!
we know where our beef comes from, and like to support the farmer, oh yeah the butcher too.... they both take care of us and the farmer buys my honey and the butcher offers to sell my honey in his shop.
the price is fair although fluctuates from year to year(better than store prices), and the beef is absolutely the best. wouldn't have it any other way.   

brooksbeefarm:
Neighbor took an old cow in the second stage to the sale barn and got over $2,000.00 for her. He didn't want to fool with her through the winter or take a chance of losing her and the calf during calving. Looks like someone wasn't afraid. ??? Jack

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version