Author Topic: Price of Beef  (Read 14513 times)

Offline Beeboy

Re: Price of Beef
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 02:01:14 pm »
They said that included everything. Packing, butchering, feed, etc.

One thing I didn't like about how they did it though  was, they let the beef get bigger than I like. I like mine between 1,000-1,200 pounds. He was going to let them get between 1,200-1,500 pounds. I've done that before  & didn't care for it as much.

I haven't bought feed in forever so I'm sure it's higher than it used to be. $4 sounded a little high though. Maybe not. As soon as I get my fence built, I'm going to buy a bottle calf & feed it out, so I'm sure I'll experience a little sticker shock at some things when I go to shelling out cash for things that used to be cheap.

Offline tmrschessie

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 10:18:19 am »
You might want to get two of them, single cows have a tendency to jump/break down fences....Tom

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 11:19:49 am »
Or the neighbors bull comes to visit. :D Jack

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 11:51:08 am »
Yes I'm planning getting two.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 10:44:47 pm »
two will always do better than just one, they will eat more, like a competition and just keep each other company to. 
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 10:34:57 am »
Last week I watched 600 lb steers sell for 2.49,  and some 400 lbs for 2.90.  Hard to imagine the cost of the final product when they have 1,200 in a calf only 1/3 of the way finished.  I'm not complaining, just hard to justify eating them myself.  I kind of feel like the guy working at the Mercedes plant and having to take the bus :D

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 11:09:05 am »
Dunkel< i know what your saying, we have deer and turkey all around us, but i like beef alot better. Kind of lost my taste for deer for some reason. I'm just thankfull like so many of us that i can make a choice. :-[ Jack

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 07:46:28 am »
We keep some cows on our ranch in order to maintain our agricultural tax exemption.  My cattle are black angus crossed to a Charolais bull.  I sell my calves to a meat market that sells only pasture fed beef.  The owner of meat market calls it "burgundy" beef.  After under grazing my land for several years, I decided to add a few head of momma cows.  I just purchased eight brangus heavy bred heifers.  They are from good stock and are bred to a registered black angus bull.  Their calves will be angus-plus cattle.  These twenty-two month old bred heifers cost &2,750.00 each.  Four years ago they would have cost eight hundred to a thousand bucks.  Like Lbourou stated, the cattle population is way down.

On the upside, I am selling seven hundred pound calves for twelve to thirteen hundred dollars.  It's a ridiculous market at this time, and I am surprised that people are still buying beef in lieu of chicken and fish.

I have deer galore, but my bride will no longer eat venison.  She did in the old days, but like Jack, she has lost her appetite for it.  I teasingly tell her she has turned into a rich B.

My cows save me about 15 grand a year in taxes, so I don't need to make a profit with them, but the past four years has been good to me, and more importantly, it has beed good to the REAL cattle producers.  The one's whose livihood depends on it.

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 11:28:56 pm »
throw the high cost of beef in with the fast food workers wanting $15.00 an hour and you have a hamburger thats going to cost $15.00 with fries
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 12:00:46 am »
and diet fries rat?!.................. :D :D :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2014, 12:13:19 am »
If i made $15.00 an hour for 8 hrs.  and bought a hamburger, fries, and a soft drink for $15.00? (an hours work) i would still have $105.00 for a days work. I could live with that, and the employees could make a living  and have a job they would want to show up for. 8) Jack
PS. i'll have a diet coke with that please. ;D

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 08:35:44 am »
And a family of four doing the same, it would cost half their day's income just for the burger and fries. Multiply that by 3 meals and you have them spending 150% of their income for food only.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Gypsi

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 09:23:21 am »
I've bought a 5 pound package of hamburger so far this year, still have 1.5 lbs in the freezer.  I have a Costco card so at least whatever beef I buy is from an inspected herd. Found a local butcher shop to buy meat at, got some steaks last fall, it was supposed to be grass fed, and it was good, but high and the guy had no idea where it came from.  I don't want any Nevada or western US beef, so I just don't buy beef.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 09:26:08 am »
So far, I have ground nearly 100 lb. of venison, and have 2 months of the season to go. I don't think I will be buying hamburger.

Same goes for steak and roasts.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 08:40:29 am »
So far, I have ground nearly 100 lb. of venison, and have 2 months of the season to go. I don't think I will be buying hamburger.

ground venison makes the world's best chile, bar none.

Same goes for steak and roasts.

Gypsi

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 09:59:37 am »
Lazy Shooter,

If you want to sell some of that ground venison just let me know, I don't live that far away

Oh shoot, it's Iddee that has it.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 12:39:22 pm »
Most of us on the forum have gardens, hunt and fish, and know how to live off the land and where food comes from. It's a joke, but true that people(not all) in big cities don't have a clue that a animal has to die before they can buy meat in the supermarket, that the Government allows a certain amount of worms,bugs,ect. processed  in the can goods they buy at the supermarkets, or that honey is bee puke. :D We that know where food comes from and how to get it and process it are very fortunate.With the population growth, people are getting farther an farther away from the land, they read about it and are taught about it in school, but don't have a clue what is involved in it (SAD. I just read a farm report that said beef prices will probably raise because of the shortage of herds, and it is the preferred meat, hear (the US of A) and foreign countries. Just in my short life, times have sure changed,i'm still debating if it's for the good or not? Jack

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 08:52:00 pm »
@Jack:

I taught my sons how to live off the land, but both of them have always been city dwellers.  In a bind, my family could fort up on my ranch and live.  It probably wouldn't be the kind of living that we all want, but it would be living.  I have a total of 400 channel catfish in two ponds.  I feed them some and I often wonder if one could sustain a living from catfish. 

Now, if I could just learn enough about bees.   hmmmm…….

Gypsi

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 10:23:20 pm »
one can eat catfish.  I have a dozen or so in my largest pond, tilapia in the greenhouse for the winter...  I originally went self sufficient here so if things got bad in town my kids could come, but they have no interest and I want more land so I probably won't stay more than another 2 years.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 12:11:32 am »
heh, I grew up on cats..
   Remember all to well going to se emy sister, ande having her son in the truck with me..  Alabama was ont he radio singing Mountain music...
  The little feller turned down the radio, and asked me with a straight face..   Uncle.. Why would ANYONE want to bend over and skin a cat?
   My immediate reply was that they are GREAT eating.. but as I said that, I realized the only cat he knew was the furry 4 legged one he had as a pet...   He was a bit upset as I back peddled and explained that the song meant CATFISH..
   I have since taken him fishing. Caught a mess of cats, started a fire, wrapped a couple cleaned channel cats in river clay and tossed them in the coals...   Every time he comes up here from Florida with my sister he BEGS to do that again..

I have calves spoken for.. One every spring from now on. And spoke with a fellow yesterday about getting some pigs. I will maintain a boar and two or three sows.   The solar and wind energy fellow should be here next week some time..   I have quite a few big cats in the upper pond, Bluegills in both upper and lower ponds. Chickens in the chicken fort and bees in their hives..  Provided the collapse is not totally catastrophic we will be fine.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*