Worldwide Beekeeping Resource Library > GETTING STARTED

Races & Characteristics of Honey Bees

(1/4) > >>

riverbee:
i have updated my post on these links as of June 17, 2014, added two more, and also some info on russian bees.  the two pdf files attached are of the first two links, i left them in place from my original post.  i think it is important, especially for newer beeks to understand the biology of or the characteristics of the race of honey bee you keep.  it will help you a great deal with management and decision making at various times.

these great pdf files contain great information on the races of european honeybees and their characteristics, and also a 'side by side' comparison:

Characteristics of Races of Honey Bees

The Different Types of Honey Bees; pdf file attached to my post

Races of Honey Bees in North America-Mann Lake

Although short and brief where some of the races originated from:
Getting Started: Races of Honey Bees-University of Georgia

The Russian Honey Bee.  i have uploaded the pdf file for this first excellent article, attached to my post.

Russian honey bees versus Italian Honey Bees:
Comparison of Russian and Italian Honey Bees North Carolina Cooperative Extension Resources

tecumseh:
great link and thanks for sharing.

blueblood:
Thanks for the link River.  I would be interested in seeing a break down of feral bees by region not only study their physical and behavioral differences in general, but how specific climates might affect those characteristics.  I have always assumed the feral bees I catch are pretty much a dual mix of Italian and Russian.  But, are there traces of the English/German black bees for instance?

crazy8days:
Thanks Riverbee!

LazyBkpr:

--- Quote from: "blueblood" ---Thanks for the link River.  I would be interested in seeing a break down of feral bees by region not only study their physical and behavioral differences in general, but how specific climates might affect those characteristics.  I have always assumed the feral bees I catch are pretty much a dual mix of Italian and Russian.  But, are there traces of the English/German black bees for instance?
--- End quote ---

That would be interesting..   As I understand it the bees around here are Italian/Carniolan cross with a lot of older strains mixed in just for good measure..   MOST feral hives I have cut out or swarms I have caught in my boxes are darker bees, which leads me to believe they are predominantly Carny/German...
   My Mentor often talked about bees when he was a kid, but seldom mentioned RACES..    SO MANY things I wish I could ask him now..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version