Author Topic: Potato blight  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Beeboy

Potato blight
« on: May 20, 2014, 12:09:57 pm »
Anyone here have any good remedies for potato blight. I am ate up with it, & need something fast! I hear you can spray a foliar fungicide on the leaves, but I don't know anything about it, or how effective is.

Can anyone offer any help?

Offline Beeboy

Re: Potato blight
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 10:13:27 pm »
I am the first and the last the beginning and the end! There is none before me, and none after me, I am threadkilla...aka beeboy!

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:52:20 pm »
Never had potato blight? but i've had tomato blight. There are many fungicides for tomato blight and it should work for potato blight. Jack

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:40:13 am »
From what I've been reading it can effect tomatoes to. I sprayed it yesterday with a fungicide with copper sulfate in it. I sure hope that does the trick. If not, I'll lose a lot of taters.

Also, there is a early blight, & a late blight. The late blight is much worse from what I read. If you have late blight, you have about a week before every tater plant is dead. This is why Ireland had such a terrible time several year ago...late blight. They migrated to the US, because they tater famine was causing them to die off.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 10:39:16 pm »
yes, you can get it on mators and tators....... :D

we have never had it on our potatoes beeboy, just a fight with the colorado beetles, but for the most part have those buggers beat.....

as far as the tators, just my understanding, the blight is caused by a spore in the ground.  when it rains, and your dirt plops up on your the leaves on the plant will cause the browning and spotting.  you can cut the lower leaves off, but by then it's already in the 'vascular' or 'vein' system of the plant, not sure of the correct terminology.......just winging it here...... :D

what we do is mound our tators, and cover in straw, it prevents this?  my understanding is a fungicide sprayed on will not help the plant.....

mators, to prevent blight, we also use some sort of mulch in the wells.

sorry, i am not the master gardener in the household, but passing along some of the info my brain was filled with upon asking........ :D

here's some info from the Vegetable Gardener's Bible:

"EARLY AND LATE BLIGHT:
Plants affected: A variety of plants
Description:
Although these diseases affect similar plants, they're caused by very different fungi. Early blight most often appears before the first fruits have ripened.  It produces brown, circular spots on leaves, each spot marked with concentric rings. Plants are most often infected during periods of warm, humid weather.

Late blight, which can attack seedlings or mature plants, sounds like a tardy sibling of early blight, but it isn't.  It's called late blight because it most often appears during spells of warm, wet weather------conditions that most often occur late in the growing season.  Late blight is the disease that caused the great potato famine in Ireland in 1845.  The scientific  name of the fungus that causes the disease translates as "plant destroyer". The disease first appears as dark spots on the leaves, which often have a strong, offensive odor.  Eventually the plants rot and collapse.

Control:  To control early blight, spray plants with neem oil or compost tea.  Avoid damaging plants when cultivating. remove weeds regularly, plant resistant varieties, and use row covers to exclude flea beetles that can spread the disease.  To prevent the disease, rotate crops annually and plant certified seed."

hope this helps?  i am not the master gardener, just the beekeeper...... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 08:17:52 am »
yes, you can get it on mators and tators....... :D

we have never had it on our potatoes beeboy, just a fight with the colorado beetles, but for the most part have those buggers beat.....

as far as the tators, just my understanding, the blight is caused by a spore in the ground.  when it rains, and your dirt plops up on your the leaves on the plant will cause the browning and spotting.  you can cut the lower leaves off, but by then it's already in the 'vascular' or 'vein' system of the plant, not sure of the correct terminology.......just winging it here...... :D

what we do is mound our tators, and cover in straw, it prevents this?  my understanding is a fungicide sprayed on will not help the plant.....

mators, to prevent blight, we also use some sort of mulch in the wells.

sorry, i am not the master gardener in the household, but passing along some of the info my brain was filled with upon asking........ :D

here's some info from the Vegetable Gardener's Bible:

"EARLY AND LATE BLIGHT:
Plants affected: A variety of plants
Description:
Although these diseases affect similar plants, they're caused by very different fungi. Early blight most often appears before the first fruits have ripened.  It produces brown, circular spots on leaves, each spot marked with concentric rings. Plants are most often infected during periods of warm, humid weather.

Late blight, which can attack seedlings or mature plants, sounds like a tardy sibling of early blight, but it isn't.  It's called late blight because it most often appears during spells of warm, wet weather------conditions that most often occur late in the growing season.  Late blight is the disease that caused the great potato famine in Ireland in 1845.  The scientific  name of the fungus that causes the disease translates as "plant destroyer". The disease first appears as dark spots on the leaves, which often have a strong, offensive odor.  Eventually the plants rot and collapse.

Control:  To control early blight, spray plants with neem oil or compost tea.  Avoid damaging plants when cultivating. remove weeds regularly, plant resistant varieties, and use row covers to exclude flea beetles that can spread the disease.  To prevent the disease, rotate crops annually and plant certified seed."

hope this helps?  i am not the master gardener, just the beekeeper...... :D
Thank you riverbee. I'm seeing everything that you said here except the dirt splashing on the leaves from the rain...we haven't had any rain. I spray them Tues. after work, but I get the feeling it was to little to late. I'm so frustrated with gardening, but I can't quit!

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 08:48:18 am »
Beeboy, when i spray fungicides or insecticides on plants, i mix Miracle Grow in with it, seems to help give the plants a boost. My uncle put out 3 acres of watermelons that only had one rain on them, once a week he sprayed the runners with Miracle Grow with a hand sprayer (had me and his 8 kids to help). The end result was he ended up with 40lb. to 60lb. melone's. I wouldn't have believed  it if i hadn't seen it. Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 12:25:26 pm »
not sure beeboy, in the past we seemed to get it with the tomatoes, when it rained.  also, the master gardner in my household rotates the plants around, says this does help.

jack thanks for the tip on the miracle grow, seems to me i recall a farmer who grew pumpkins, squash, melons, on our land, and he did the same thing.  his crop was always really healthy. 
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 10:35:03 am »
I used a product made by bonide, that really seems to be clearing this blight. It has copper sulphate, & it is a fungicide. It's a pain to spray, but it looks like it might save my taters.