Author Topic: Bumblebees ...... A New UK Pest  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Barbarian

Bumblebees ...... A New UK Pest
« on: May 28, 2014, 04:03:49 am »
In 2000 or 2001 a new species of bumblebee came into southern England.

This was the Tree bumblebee, Bombus Hypnorum. Since arrival this beastie has spread and multiplied over a lot of the UK. It has a similar annual life cycle to other bumbles. The Tree bumble prefers to nest well above ground. In domestic situations, the nests may be in bird boxes, wall cavities, roof fascias and eaves. At times, a group of upto 20 or 30 drones fly about the entrance waiting for new queens to emerge. To a householder this can be a 'swarm' of bees. Grapevine has it that this bumble is more aggressive than other bumbles if the nest is disturbed  --- even vibration near the nest. The species is generating a lot of calls to honeybee keepers.

The British BKA has a website. Callers to local authorities and pest control companies are often referred to this website ... www.britishbee.org.uk.
Part of the BBKA website is a link whereby a caller can be given contact details for a local keep who is willing to collect honeybee swarms. People with Tree bumbles often call the local collectors because they are uncertain what thev've got and what to do. I have been on the swarm collectors list for several years. Calls about Tree bumbles have been horrendous this year. Each call takes phone time to identify what kind of bee it's about and to explain and advise. Most days I have had several calls relating to bumbles and no honeybee calls. This is happening to most swarm collectors.

I am thinking about asking for my details to be taken off the BBKA swarm collectors list.

This is link for info about UK bumbles   http://bumblebeeconservation.org/
" Another Owd Codger "