Author Topic: Fruitless  (Read 5608 times)

Offline Beeboy

Fruitless
« on: June 04, 2014, 12:43:10 pm »
I have tomatoes that are very healthy looking, & blooming like crazy, & have been for some time.

I have barely fertilized them, but the blooms get to a certain point & fall off. I have around 40 plants & they are all blooming like crazy. So that's easy several hundred blooms, but a big fat ZERO to maters. I mean not even one. I read that pruning them will cause them to put on fruit sometimes so I did that yesterday. I also sprayed them with bloom set a couple of days ago.

Any ideas? I love to maters, & am very frustrated with these plants...

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Fruitless
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 01:04:03 pm »
Hi beeboy  :)  my daughter has a group page on facebook, Here We Grow, this exact question came up. Hope this helps

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/tomato/2000083030027695.html
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 01:28:32 pm »
Thank you Jen. My conditions that fall in line the conditions listed in that article is first very dry weather, to pretty wet weather. Nothing constant. Since last October to date, I bet we haven't had a combined 2" of rain. I am on a well for my water & it does fine when it is only on in the house, but when you turn it on outside...there are problems. So I got water meter set this year, & ran a water hose down to the garden around the first of May, & have been watering quite a lot until about a week & half ago. Since then it has rained about 3-1/2 inches, with a good promise of more to come. So I think with that you can see that nothing has been consistent in the way of soil moisture.

Temps have been approx. 70 at night to 92-3 at day. So I don't think it's that.

Windy? It's always windy where I live, but I have a pallet fence around my garden to keep the deer out, & that really blocks a lot of wind. They have been in the ground since the first week of May.

Very little fertilize has been put down, so I don't think it's that. I will not put any on it for awhile & see if that helps.

I think it's just the weather, but I'm not sure because people around me have loads of tomatoes earlier than they have ever had them. I feel like I'm cursed sometimes when I try to do things. Especially gardening. Maybe thats why I like beekeeping so much, because I have been able to do it without much of the curse bleeding over into that field. LOL!  :P

Offline Papakeith

• Salisbury Farm Apiary
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 01:35:10 pm »
My first thought was too much Nitrogen in the soil. 
I'm starting to think that the bees are keeping me...

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 10:58:50 pm »
Your neighbors probably put there's out earlier than you did, tomato's won't set on in 90F + weather. We just got our main crop of tomato's in the last 2 weeks (300 plants), one field of sweet corn is about to tossel and another field is just coming up.Normally i wouldn't tell this on my self (because of iddee, squirt, perry and some others on here ;D) but i have the best potato patch i've had in several years. I went and checked them a week ago and found potato bugs at work :o, so i went and hooked up the srayer on the 4 wheeler and sprayed them and was about to spray the green beans, when i realized i got the sprayer that i sprayed  thistles with last year with 2-4-D :'(, it made me sick and i cussed myself for 3 days. Well someone was looking out for this old dumb farmer, i only lost two plants on the first roe i sprayed and the rest are blooming,i was going to hill them up in the mourning, we are supposed to get rain tomorrow and it's thundering big time right now. Next time (maybe?) i won't get in such a big hurry and stop and think what i'm doing. ??? Jack

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 07:59:41 am »
I found five tomatoes! Woot! Woot! Party time!

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 02:51:31 pm »
Now, with plenty of sunshine & pretty consistent moisture, one by one they are wilting & dying. UGGGHHH!

Gypsi

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 10:30:20 pm »
I think calcium is important in setting fruit too. bone meal might help, or ground up eggshells

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 11:03:34 pm »
Are you planting your tomato plants in the same place every? They should be rotated to new ground every two years to avoid disease build up. Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 12:10:41 am »
what jack said about rotating....but i could also fill your brain with other things we do....before i go into detail, what type of mators are you growing beeboy?

'Normally i wouldn't tell this on my self (because of iddee, squirt, perry and some others on here ;D) but i have the best potato patch i've had in several years. I went and checked them a week ago and found potato bugs at work "

...... :D  them little prolific buggers!!!
 well, you have to rotate them too jack, every year, we haven't seen any yet, and looks like we are going to have a great crop of tators!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 08:32:05 am »
This is only my second year to garden in this spot, & I had no tomatoes there last year.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 08:33:20 am »
Took the cub tractor and one row cultivator and run through the 3 rows of taters to loosen the ground so i can hill them up. Well i got a little close to some ;D and dug some new potato's out about the size of a tennis ball, told the wife and she got a two gal. bucket full. So she fixed creamed potato's with onions and peas, pickled beets, Ham and corn bread, green tea. Now that's Heaven on earth :laugh:,for some reason bees kept getting in my face and doing the zig zag thing while i was cultivating? I was between (100 yards) them and the Buckwheat field and i'm thinking i was in there flight path? Didn't get stung though. :) Jack

Gypsi

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 09:33:59 am »
sounds like something in the soil, or not in the soil. do you have a county ag guy?

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 12:01:51 pm »
"This is only my second year to garden in this spot, & I had no tomatoes there last year."

hmmm yup, what gypsi said. take a soil sample and have it tested to see what you need in your soil.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 01:01:31 pm »
I have a farm extension office just about 5 miles from me. I might take it there.

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 08:24:35 am »
http://www.fertilome.com/product.aspx?pid=16de5744-2971-44ee-b317-ac3b87407188   Do your soil check as every one has stated and if the phosphorus is low the will correct the issue. Had this problem my first year here