Author Topic: July 26th 2013, Meet Lily.  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

July 26th 2013, Meet Lily.
« on: November 11, 2014, 06:47:54 am »
After looking at different dogs for nearly a week I came to relize we were not going to get a dog even one as young as six months old. We searched petfinder.com in our area and kept getting a listing of dogs in the Detroit area. Funny many seem to be some sort of Pit Bull mix. Not saying Pit Bulls are totaly bad, if you get them young enought to train they can be very good pets I am told.
Any way the Detroit area shelters have some weird strict gide lines on the home the pet dog can go to. They have to live in the house with you, reguardless if you have a cat or two in the house, Yard needs to be fenced and when I brought up useing a check cord for training you would have thought I was talking about a stun gun or some thing.

Any way enough of the rambling. We went to see some Shar Pei Puppies Wednesday in Saginaw and go to Bay City to look at two young dogs.
They couldn't be seen till Thursday evening cause they were at the vets getting fixed. Their web site said they had two females one, brown and one black. That was a mistake, they only had one female and she was Black. She came home with us and seems that she will be a good dog with some training. She has already let us know she wanted to go potty but we were not sure what she wanted at the time so she used the papers we put downh for her. She likes wadeing thru the dew wet grass and comes when told to. Lily is her new forever name we gave her, they had called her Janet.
She did fetch a stuffed duck to me a few times and carryed a stick for a long time before I finally took it from her.

Lily

I should also mention she has a good set of lungs on her. She gets lonely quick, but she had 5 brothers.
I though about nameing her tough girl having 5 brothers biteing and playing rather rough with her.

:)  Al

your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Alleyyooper

Re: July 26th 2013, Meet Lily.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 06:54:04 am »
A lot has happened since we got Lily.

PUPPY STRANGLUATION!!!!

Week one with our lily included a visit to the vet to be checked out for health issues. The health of our new puppy wasd fine at the time and she loved every one in the office so she appears will be OK with people. We got the Heart Guard heart meds and the Front line to prevent fleas and ticks. We gave her the Heart Guard that evening a Friday and Saturday evening she got the Front line applied. Sunday afternoon she had a huge lump between her shoulder blades where the Front line was applied but she seemed OK other wise except for the pimples over and under the left eye and around the mouth.

Still having a fear she was having a reaction to the Front line we made an emegerancy appointment with the vet Monday morning. the lump wasn't a reaction to the Front like it was a diease called Puppy Strangulation.

We were given two types of Meds to give her twice a day for 14 days and an appointment to come back in a week. A week latter the lump was gone and the leaking eyes had stopped. We got an appointment for the next week when the meds were nearly finished to get her remaining puppy shots.

That appointment found culiflowers in her ears from the diease. Now we get a cream in a tube and are told to apply 6 drops in each ear. Doing a cream in drops is some sort of a joke I am sure. After 3 days though she has accepted the fact that she is going to get this stuff in her ears and allows it with out fuss.

She has gained 2 pounds a week going from 9 pounds when we picked her up to almost 15 in 3 weeks. She now sits and accepts the meds she has to have oraly now also. Part of the benifit is the telling her to sit and giving her the meds in a treat. She is almosty totaly leash trained just wanting to chew on my pant legs some times. She stays when told to till you call to her. Fetch is still a work in progress but is at least 60% complete.

Deer are fine as long as she is on the leash but a chase if she is loose (don't happen much when in the woods or back yard.) is fine with gardner snakes and frogs.

She has also out growen the harness I got for her to use the training line on.

She has house broke her self. She has went on the papers we put down a couple times when we left her for more than 4 hours.

She sits on command and will stay up to a point. She is fairly good on the leash but times she wants to take it in her mouth and play tug of war, I just stop and stand till she decides I won't allow her to lead me around . Command to stop it doesn't have any effect. She goes and gets in her bed with the bed command too. Still needs a lot of work with the whoa, gee and haw commands.

She is real smart though just have to figure out what to do when she doesn't mind.

:) Al

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 06:55:46 am »
I was surprised when I looked at our records and saw we have had Lily well over a year. It has been a fun time teaching her some things. Crossing the bridge to go north was some thing she just would not do but would trot right across to go south.

She learned to sit very quick.

Kept her on the shorter leash because I could not find a harness that fit that I liked. she also wanted to fight the leash and chew on the short strap part.

She has from the start liked our walks in the woods and would play in the leaves.

She behaved in the out side pen and was quite not barking or whinnying. She still is a for the most part a silent girl.

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 06:58:07 am »
Getting her dew claws removed slowed her down for a while and the cone was some thing she hated. The cone was so hated that she was quick to obey so she didn't get it put back on a gain she though I think.

She liked to lay on the rug and play with her favorite stuffed toy a duck that squeaked.  She played with it till the stuffing was coming out and the squeak was gone from it. I took it away from her.

She seemed to enjoy winter. She could find mice in the snow drifts fairly easy.

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 07:19:42 am »
Yup a year in July, I was thinking it was a year in August.
Such is the elder mind.

She will stick her tongue out at me.

She likes the shade under the Locus tree where we play fetch. Also to chew on a toy. I try to buy Kong toys because they are so tough.

:) Al

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 07:21:51 am »
She is a playful pup.

Fetching the ball get awful hot & makes you dry in the sun with black fur.

Will lay and listen to what dad is saying.

That is what our year has been like to date. There is many a enjoyable walks in the woods and field like the little doe that started walking with us in April about 10 yards behind us. Then in mid May she disappeared for about a week then would come stand beside a path and watch us walk by. We still see her at least once a week and she will almost come to hand when the pup isn't with me.

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 08:31:34 am »
This shows I have 5 reply's but I can not see even one what is up with that?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 08:40:49 am »
Each time you posted another set of pics, it shows as a reply. You made 6 posts to get all of it posted.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 05:16:18 am »
Well DA!!! why didn't I figure that out?
Hate those elder moments.