Author Topic: Aquaponic greenhouse  (Read 3683 times)

Gypsi

Aquaponic greenhouse
« on: November 30, 2014, 10:59:42 am »
Nope, no fertilizers to add.  Yes the media (expanded shale) is to help filter the water for the tilapia.  Got some nice insulating bubble wrap enveloping everything but the bottom 2 feet and those are insulated.  I haven't got seeds in yet but one of my tomato cuttings did root, the other is trying mightily.  Best looking tomatoes all year came off the pond on the lot, much nicer more even color larger than the ones grown in soil. 

So I brought the blueberries (dead before the pond) into the greenhouse for the winter on a tray in a cool area of it, and I bought 3 small swiss chard from the feed store and I'm going to put this together.

After I fix the stabilizer bar bushing on the truck and get my granddaughter home. Sometime today I will probably feed the bees but don't really have time to inspect them.

Offline Ray4852

Re: Aquaponic greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 12:42:05 pm »
Do you have good luck cloning tomatoes. Plenty of good hydroponic ways to clone them. I guess you can clone any kind of plant.

Gypsi

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 09:28:47 pm »
First time to successfully clone tomatoes.  Most garden veggies I wouldn't try to clone, but I have a friend that has been starting clones in August every year so I tried one.  And it looks good today, other one isn't taking off yet.  Most of my tomato plants died despite moving to the greenhouse, no good looking shoots for cloning except these 2. I am still eating fruit off the kitchen counter, my cherokee purples have finally ripened

Offline Ray4852

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 10:44:13 pm »
Wife and I just finished up our last tomatoes last week. Cant wait to try some new ones next year. Seed starting in march.

Gypsi

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 10:52:05 pm »
You are a bit North of me. There are many downsides to Texas but growing season length isn't one.  However we have 2 months in summer when a lot of things die.  Heat instead of cold.

Offline Ray4852

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 11:25:03 pm »
I never been to Texas. I know it can get pretty darn hot down there. I think once you get use to it you will enjoy it. I visit Florida twice during my lifetime. I was glad to get out of there because I couldn’t adjust to the climate change. I lived in New York State all my life. Its a beautiful state. Wont win any prize for weather. I visit Wisconsin a lot. Nice state. Its like NY.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 12:22:20 am »
From July one up until the third week of September our part of Texas is most day over 100 degrees F.  It is not uncommon to have 40 or 50 days of consecutive days over 100 degrees in this calendar interval.  In West Central Texas we have great spring and autumn weather, but the heart of the summer is a trying time for us. 

I have a friend who recently put a aquaponic greenhouse in a steel building.  He told my bride that he was going to have to put a gas burner in the building to supply something.  I don't remember what.  Sounded strange to me, but many things do.

Offline Ray4852

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 08:42:51 am »
It sounds to me he was trying to keep the environment the right temp to grow his plants.  Almost 3 months of 100 degrees temps is pretty hot to grow anything outside. I imagined once you get use to 100 degree weather you get use to it.  I bet you freeze to death when you have 65 degrees temps. My growing season starts June first and I’m done around the middle part of September. I grow lettuce in a hydroponic tent down in the basement under T-5 lights all winter. I start my garden plants from seeds around march.   

Gypsi

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 04:34:29 pm »
actually he might have been running the gas burner unvented to provide carbon dioxide and water. Not sure. I do things differently, less budget more figuring things out