Author Topic: hitchin' a ride  (Read 1339 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
hitchin' a ride
« on: May 09, 2015, 09:47:09 pm »
these girls will keep you guessing. the only thing I see for a reason for this happening is that last sunday I caught a swarm. I put the bees into 2 of those white cardboard nuc boxes. when I carried the boxes to my car I may have brushed up against my front bumper & left a pheromone scent. there were bees hanging onto the outside of the boxes who were released when I opened the trunk to get the boxes out. I put the swarm into a nuc & went about my day. BUT, ever since there have been around 50 bees hanging onto a small patch of my bumper.

Offline capt44

• If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
Re: hitchin' a ride
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 10:20:09 pm »
If you don't want them hanging onto your bumper just spray some white vinegar on it.
It will mask the queen pheromone scent.
Capt44

Offline rober

• Gold Member
Re: hitchin' a ride
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 09:36:16 am »
having the girls on the car does not concern me. I just found it interesting that they were doing it. last year I had a group clustering on the hood of a garden tractor that I laid a queen release cage on. they lingered for over a week day & night. there's no doubt that they have a keen sense of smell. there's a bee tree along a trail where I walk my dog. this hive has died off & been repopulated at least 4 times in the last few years. as far as the car my right lightly brushed against as I walked by but that was enough to attract them. I'm fairly sure these bees were the ones that clung to the outside of the transport boxes. I left the trunk open for awhile when I removed the boxes to allow them to leave the trunk. I had to lightly brush some loose to get them out as they were clustering where the boxes were.