Author Topic: First harvest  (Read 2632 times)

Offline gtrr4

First harvest
« on: July 02, 2015, 06:08:11 pm »
On vacation this week and been building nesting boxes for the chicken coop.  Well since its been cool in the early morning I have been picking a row of green beans each morning.  After 3 days and 3 rows, I have 6-7 gallons worth of beans.  Guess I'll be canning during my vacation.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
Re: First harvest
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 04:05:39 pm »
Nice to see that beekeepers can harvest items other than honey. 
Contrary to the honey harvest, you don't need to leave anything behind on your vines so as to guarantee surviving the winter.
You  apparently prefer canning to freezing.  Please explain your reasons.

Offline gtrr4

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 08:59:10 pm »
I guess I have always been a fan of canned beans and I guess I'm not a big fan of crunchy beans.  So I've always done canning.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 11:49:14 am »
I prefer canning to keep from buying 4 or 5 freezes and having to pay the electric bill for them, just to have a power outage and lose it all. I freeze a 30 day supply, fish, bony meat, and hamburger. AKA: Venison burger.  I can most other meats and veggies, and still have 2 freezers full, plus a side by side freezer full.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein