Author Topic: Slow year in the garden  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Slow year in the garden
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:09:32 pm »
Normally stuff would be further along than this, but I am guessing that the winter we had is somehow responsible. The middle bed is one we planted blue potatoes in and I just added another board and dirt instead of hilling (kinda hard to do in raised beds). These potatoes are blue clean through. I was introduced to them in the 80's and always thought they were cool. They don't taste any different but sure add another dimension to the dinner table when guests come over. :laugh:

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Slow year in the garden
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 11:38:26 pm »
nice pix perry.  i would think your weather slowed the gardening growth down. hope it picks up for you. i love garden tators! my favorite has become the yukon golds or smaller gold varieties, they have such a buttery flavor to them, so good on the grill.  never tried blue tators, what are they similiar too?

our gardens this year are fantastic!!!  best we have had i think in 4 or 5 years. everything is doing well.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 11:43:03 pm »
Very cool potato's Perry. I've been buying the gold and reds the size of large grapes at the farmers market. They're so good thrown in the oven with plenty of olive oil, salt pepper, and garlic. The skins get crispy ~ Mm Mm Good
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 01:11:34 am »
Lookin' good!  Our row of radishes is ready.  Plucked the first from the ground today, washed it off and gobbled it down.  I haven't had a garden in years... Boy, have I missed it.  I went outside about 20 minutes, looked at the bees, and, I'm not sure quite how it happened, but I suddenly realized I was eating the leaf lettuce I was standing next to.  :)

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 11:21:29 am »
May be a little slow but looking much better than the ones out here in the drought. You will get a crop, just later with a rush to eat it, or get if caned and stored all before the first frost. Here they have us down to hand watering a few hrs in the am and pm 2 days a week. We need to save the water so the hydro electric dams down river can be supplied a steady stream of water.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.