Author Topic: Swarm inspection.  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

Swarm inspection.
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:29:50 am »
Finally decided the swarm that moved into my recycle pile was ready to be inspected and if possible moved into better digs.
Wow what luck the frames they were working were the best ones and can be used another year as they were not horrible bad.
Second frame pulled and there was the queen a short small one, HUMM wonder if this swarm was a secondary swarm and the queen isn't up to fighting weight yet?
She had a good pattern laid in 3 frames and a forth was packed full of pollen and a bit of honey. I am going to keep a good eye on the honey stores, Dry as a Pop Corn Fart here so don't think much nectar is to be had. Plants flower and just dry up in the heat.
Got them on a bottom board but they are still using the entrance of the intercover, even though I put the queen and brood in the bottom box.

Any way looks good so far.

;D  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Curtchann

Re: Swarm inspection.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:09:59 pm »
Small hive that I remived from a log likes to use the small entrance on the inner cover also. Gave them a 2nd box today as they are wall to wall with bees. They have a mix of drawn comb and new foundation.

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 09:07:04 am »
Have been awful busy trying to catch up on things and getting stuff done before the second knee surgery lays me up for a while. I have been walking by the swarm just about every day to see they are coming and going while bringing in pollen.
About a week ago I start seeing nothing in that double deep stack of hives but don't have the time during tr5he cool of the day to get into them. Trying to get all my winters supply of fire wood up during the cool of the day and sharpening chains and other things in the shade rest of the time.

Week ago today I decide to fill the solar melter with more frames to recycle the wax and frames. What is going on there. A 3 deep stack of hive I had hoped the swarm would move into is just chock full of bees at the upper entrance. I stood aside and watched them coming and going wondering what they could be robbing from that stack since I had taken every  thing with any amount of honey and given to the swarm. After standing there about 10 minutes I seen a bunch of the girls bringing in pollen.
I have it planed to open it up today and see what I have going on there.

;D  Al

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 05:36:34 pm »
Bees must like you! ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 05:17:35 am »
I opened it up yesterday and had brood from eggs to capped in two boxes lots of pollen and also some honey.
Good looking colony.

;D  Al