Author Topic: Vanishing of the Bees  (Read 9777 times)

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
Vanishing of the Bees
« on: January 15, 2014, 10:31:50 pm »
I watched the movie Vanishing of the Bees on DVD yesterday.  It was an interesting dvd about CCD.  It was made around 2008 so it is kind of old information.  But it was interesting nonetheless.  One poor guy in Arizona lost 40,000 (I think that's right) hives in a 3-week period.  Has anyone else seen this movie?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Vanishing of the Bees
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 11:49:57 pm »
Watched it some time ago, thought it was pretty good.  Have watched a few documentaries so get them all confused now. Remember the scene where they had the Kodak moment looking out across the flats toward the hills. could see thousands of beehives in the distance, all empty...
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:09:34 am »
I watched it for the first time about a month ago, it's available on youtube for the moment anyway.
Yeah, that one scene sticks in my mind as well.
Reminds me of the Last Beekeeper in a way. There was that one guy who's bees hadn't been hit by CCD while most around him were getting hammered. He seemed pretty sure of himself. At the end of the movie in the "epilogue" section, it was reported that the next year he got hammered.
I always remind myself that when you have a good year, be appreciative but humble, you may have just got lucky. We are all but one bad year from severe embarrassment.  ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 09:05:30 am »
Yeap, seen that movie.  Felt the same way you did.

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 10:32:56 am »
I haven't watched the video but have seen some discussion about it ignoring (or being unaware) of the possibility that some of those who lost a big bunch of bees were not on top of the rapidly growing resistance of the mites to the treatment being used. I know some people scrambled the year that fall delivery of MAQs was held up due to some regulatory glitch, but Formic based applications were not the ones connected with the resistance situation.
Frank