Author Topic: Bionic knee II  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

Bionic knee II
« on: August 25, 2016, 12:17:46 pm »
August 23 I had the right knee replaced by the same doctor in the same hospital.,
What a difference in just five months. Every thing was pretty much the same up until I went into the surgery prep room. In the prep room I was given a bottle of some thing brown and nasty along with 4 one ended Q tips. I had to swap my nostrils 30 seconds with each Q tips , worried about mersa they are. Once that was all finished I was wheeled to the heavy presurgery room for the spinal tap and such. This time I was not put out I could hear them talking grinding and pounding with a hammer. Could have seen what they were doing but they did a small curtain to I couldn't.

Last time when I came out of surgery I felt fine but not this time, I had this nagging, Want to PUKE my guts feeling from the get go, And did just that after I ate some lunch 3 hours latter. You Know tums, Maalox and a injection of a anti nausea med was injected in the IV line. Still had that nagging in the pit of my tummy and just after they fed me some supper I puked again big time.
Still had that nagging feeling after that too and got another IV injection, wasn't helping that deep in the gut want to PUKE feeling.

Daughter I love you very much and thank you for sharing how you calmed your tummy after the many rounds of Chemo. I asked for saltine crackers and was given a good size stack of them and Some ginger ale. That calmed my tummy down real quick.
The other problem that was different what PEEING. I couldn't despite the urge I mean a constant urge where I could get a few drops out then nothing. That continues for 12 hours with no change. Finally after 19 hours the flood gates opened and I peed and peed as fast as the aide could bring me the urinal thingy. She said when it finally finished I had released about 3/4 of a gallon.
I also got a ball, about great fruit size a little bigger how ever. in a bag with a tiny line runs under the skin to my knee and is about 5 inches long the doctor said. Is full of pain meds I was told.

27 hours after the operation the PT woman shows up, I was eating breakfast told her to come back in a half hour and I would race her down the hall.
Now I don't have much use for this air head at all. The aide had adjusted the walker so I could stand to try and PEE the day before, but this aide insisted the walker was to low and readjusted it higher by about 4 inches. I am really going down the hall and she kept saying we should stop and readjust the walker I told her NOPE not going to do that you insisted it was to short so live with how you have me. Once back in my room she had me sit in a chair and put my foot up on another chair and stay that way for almost two hours. That caused me a lot of pain and the first Norco or any pain drug I had taken orally. When the doctor got there last evening he went nuts about the chair thing And the pain it had caused. He said enough of this crap and released me to come home, Said he was going to do some thing about that PT woman and I am sure he will. I really like him a lot.

So I was told not to move today, just sit and drink water and PEE in a jug or a pail from my easy chair to try and get that knee back the where it isn't so pain full.

I had told my wife I didn't want to go to that hospital to get the second knee done because of crap from last time. But 6 miles from home one way is way shorter than 22 miles one way to the other hospital. So she won but now is dumping the pail I keep filling up.

;D   Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Bionic Knee II
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 03:24:08 pm »
Glad you are still with us Al.  That was quite a story.

When I have surgery, I point to a line in the tile at the foot of my bed and tell the anesthesiologist I don't want to remember anything on the other side of that line.  They usually shoot me up right then.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 06:07:16 pm »
It's incredible how such a little thing as needing to pee can become such a major focus in your life during those first few hours after surgery.

Glad you are back in control.

Well, as much control as Wife will let you have.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 08:38:43 pm »
Al,

God bless and get well soon! :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Alleyyooper

Re: Bionic knee II
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 05:23:09 am »
thank you every one, isn't a story will post up pictures soon.  Have now went 5.5 hours with out a pain pill. sitting is working but PT starts today.

;D Al

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 08:34:48 pm »
Glad to hear you came through surgery, Al.  When you get well enough you can kick the PT woman in seat of her pants!  Don't try to be too tough without the pain meds.  It's hard to do PT without them. 
Every day I am amazed at how much better I am doing since knee replacement.

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 05:28:33 am »
Nurse came yesterday and removed the foot ball that was down to the size of a lemon. Also had the PT elevation lady come to see if I was ready for PT, starts Monday I guess.
Pain this time isn't any where near like last time. I've missed wakening up for my 3 AM meds two days in a row. Never happened last time 3:00 AM roll around and I was salivating over the pill bottle.

;D   Al

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 08:51:22 am »
@wonderingman:

When I had knee replacement, they gave me shot in my spine that deadened my nerve ending below my waist.  It may have been an "epidural."  There is some concern that the epidural will also "deaden" one's kidneys.  They want to make sure your "pee-pee" is working before releasing you to go home with "plugged" kidneys.  That was what they told me, because like you, I wondered why anyone was so concerned about my urination.  :)

Al, get better soon.  I think you did the wise thing.  I had one knee done and tried to live with the other worn out knee for a year and a half.  Like the doctor said, 'if one knee is worn out, the other is also worn out, or soon will be.'  I don't think you will regret this decision.  I know I haven't.

As you well know, listen to your PT person and FOLLOW their instructions.  Do what they say and get the best possible results.  Good luck you old fart.

lazy

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 05:35:26 pm »
I had prostate cancer about 12 years ago. I was convinced the catheter was blocked afterwards. No one one told me it was just sensation returning. I thought I was about to explode for way too many hours after surgery.

Knowledge of what was going on would have helped. Instead the first nurse did something and said she got it going again. The rest just told me it was working.

Of course, after that first nurse I didn't believe them.

It's amazing how simple bodily functions can become even more important than bees.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 08:48:32 am »
Al:

I hate to high jack Al's thread, but I need some information from Wonderingman. 

@Wonderingman:

Ugh, I am facing prostate surgery.  It's on my autumn, "have to get done list."  How long did it take you to fully recover from surgery?

lazy

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 01:09:44 pm »
Al:

I hate to high jack Al's thread, but I need some information from Wonderingman. 

@Wonderingman:

Ugh, I am facing prostate surgery.  It's on my autumn, "have to get done list."  How long did it take you to fully recover from surgery?

lazy

Lazy, send me a pm

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 06:56:16 am »
Think I over did it during Fridays PT session. Awful pain all week end so far have not missed a pain pill. Like clock work ingest one every 4 hours and do a hand full of Motrin in between to get by. Keeping the ice machine on nearly 24 hours to just turn down the flow at night. Saturday night I woke up and turned the flow back up to high for the rest of the night.

May give some heat a try today if things don't get a bit better.
Think I will be telling the PT girl this week when enough is enough and not push it.

;D  Al

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 10:10:04 am »
Al,

I have always wondered if PT folk don't have a touch of sadism in their makeup. :)But I am sure they mean well.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 10:49:50 am »
Al,

I have always wondered if PT folk don't have a touch of sadism in their makeup. :)But I am sure they mean well.

My sister in law I'd a PT. Based on past interactions, I'd say not quite sadistic, but other people's pain doesn't bother them.

Wife is currently undergoing PT for rotator cuff surgery. She over did, and had to slow down due to tendinitis in other tendons in shoulder.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 11:26:18 am »
Physical therapists are like every other group of people.  Some of them are quite good, dedicated professionals and some are not so good. 

My first family physician told me, "tell the doctor how you feel and what you think is wrong.  You know more about your body than anyone else."  I believe that is true.  Sure the PT knows more about healing your injured knee, but only you knows what the pain threshold is.  From time to time, I would tell my PT that the pain was too much. 

Al, you don't seem to be a bashful guy, so tell the PT what you think and then LISTEN.

Sometimes it is darkest before dawn.  I do wish you well.

lazy 

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 05:10:33 am »
This was full of pain block when I came home and was way bigger. It was removed on my second day home. I never had that the first time and I had a hard time remembering to take it when I would walk around.

Lovely knees now but I never was big on wearing shorts.

There had been 26 staples, nurse was supposed to remove half of them but when she got down near the shin I started bleeding so she stopped removing them.

Got some pictures from when I fell but not up loaded yet.

;D  Al