Author Topic: pressure canner  (Read 19579 times)

Offline mamapoppybee

pressure canner
« on: January 17, 2014, 01:23:01 pm »
Found me an old national #7 pressure canner at the fle market for 7$ paid 8.99 for the replacement seal and auto air vent. Very excited cus new ones cost an arm and a leg now!

Offline mamapoppybee

Re: pressure canner
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 02:18:26 pm »
needing to know if any one knows how to operate the petcocks on this canner?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 03:11:54 pm »
Start your cook. When the air is out and a steady stream of steam is coming out, close the petcock. Time the cook from the time the gauge reads your cooking pressure. When time is up, Remove from burner and DO NOT OPEN. When cool, open petcock a tiny bit at a time. If you get steam, close it and wait. When you get NO steam, it is safe to open the canner and remove the jars.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 03:22:56 pm »
Here is a link to a site where you can download the original instructions. You want to make sure that someone has not put non standard parts on or defeated any of the designed safety features. Some canners have a rubber blow out plug that should be replaced if it is old. If you get the original manual that is the safest route as usually the pictures will show what it should look like and point you to that models particular trouble points to check.

http://www.pickyourown.org/canning_equipment/canner_manuals.htm#.UtmPHbROmpo

Sorry forgot to paste the link.
Frank

Offline Crofter

• Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 03:33:05 pm »
The model you link to has a weight pressure control. Some models have a spring loaded valve with a manual release lever which is I think what Iddee is referring to for air release. The blowout valve may incorporate the auto air release. I think it is center rear in the image you link to.
Frank

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 03:41:25 pm »
The original #7 had a petcock and weight. It has been replaced with "Presto 85485 Pressure Canner Regulator Kit".
The kit is a jiggler like the newer prestos. If hers has the old petcock, she will need to leave it open to exhaust and closed to cook. The new kit is 15 to 20 dollars.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 03:52:58 pm »
ty all and yes idee i found mine all origanal so thank you for the info. Ill try it with petcock first and if i dont like it swap to the other

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 03:58:36 pm »
If you are new to canning, PLEASE don't try to can non acid foods in a water bath canner. A pressure canner is an ABSOLUTE must. The sweet potatoes we canned Sunday were in a pressure canner. Botulism is a very real danger.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Crofter

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 03:59:44 pm »
This makes this game so much more fun to hunt iddee; I see on chat she has changed out the auto air release so there may be no "petcock" The weight type pressure regulator is probably safer than the the spring and lever type which could seize. Knowing there can be confusion is why factory manual is the best advice if it is available.
Frank

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 04:10:28 pm »
This kit replaces the petcock.

Product Description
Presto 85485 Canner Regulator Kit
For Presto Pressure Canner models:
5, 7S, 7, 21S, 21AV, 21, 7AV

This kit replaces the pressure control weight and petcock originally packaged with canners of this type. The new pressure regulator fits unto the new vent pipe and controls pressure inside the unit

http://www.pressurecooker-canner.com/pr85carekit.html
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Irwin

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 07:07:50 pm »
I just got an all American 15 given to me. I looked on the net and it cost all most 200 dollars and it works great. I love pressure canning.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 07:31:24 pm »
I would love to have an all american stackable, but at 200 bucks, I'll have to stay with my 3 presto single stack canners.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 08:32:55 pm »
got 11 quart jars of salsa made. need to get more cilantro and finish off those matters iv got.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 08:48:49 pm »
Congrats. Satisfying, isn't it?
― Shel Silverstein

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 08:03:04 am »
i love being able to make our own and control whats going into to it! Plus you can make up lots of stuff for a heck  of a cheaper. I like to check the flea markets for canning jars. spent 2.00 on a whole box of assorted ones. Looking forward to jam season. my daughter is wanting more apricot and raspberry!

Offline Irwin

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 04:27:45 pm »
My x gave away every thing I had for canning. So they gave me the canner to help me get back to canning. When I was a kid that is how we did every thing canning was a way of life and big garden's.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 05:36:25 pm »
"When I was a kid that is how we did every thing canning was a way of life and big garden's."

me too irwin, including jams, jellies and syrups from wild berries.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Irwin

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 06:36:09 pm »
The same here I spent many hours picking wild blackberry's.

Offline skydiver

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 07:58:50 pm »
Do not over look the old ball canning books they give tips on how to can meats. The new one we have said not to. Used the an old one to figure out how to can the wife's home made spaghetti sauce with meat made from garden fresh ingredients cooked down until the spoon stands up.  ;)
skydivers do not want to jump to a conclusion!