Author Topic: Posting etiquette?  (Read 9567 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Posting etiquette?
« on: September 30, 2016, 10:45:49 pm »
I'm just curious about how others feel about posting the same question on multiple beekeeping sites.

I generally do all of my posting here, but I'll follow one or two other sites sometimes. And I will see familiar names on the other sites.

When I was starting out, I posted the same question on different sites, trying to get as much information as possible. But I soon began to feel like getting advice from too many people only leaves one confused.

And sometimes I wondered if folks on this site didn't feel like "Hey, I just answered that for you! Why are you posting the same question over here?"

No one ever said that.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: Posting etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 10:57:27 pm »
My experience is similar. When I first started out I went to three other sites looking for all the info I could. I found early on that the soundest, least judgmental advice came form this forum. I still participate in two others. I rarely start topics other than here, but I do join in if I think I have anything to contribute. To me, a lot can be learned by hearing other folks experiences and the solutions offered.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 11:26:32 pm »
I checked my list of "No, No's", and posting on other sites is not one of them.  But, posting the same question in several forums at the same site is generally, but not always, annoying. Hunting for a 'home' site for beekeeping discussion is definitely okay.

Some of us post on other sites with the same or similar user names, but write via alternate personalities.  ;)

One of the good things about WWBeekeeping people is the kind and helpful slant to almost all discourse.  The most knowledgeable posters here are humble, and enjoy sharing their experiences.  The largest site is replete with corporate memory for beekeeping, but tends to want for the same mentoring spirit.
Lee_Burough

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 11:39:57 pm »
Wman and Neil, I was on another forum for awhile before this one sprung up brand new and I was invited over about 5 years ago I think. I found that my every question was answered quickly, respectfully with different answers from many other well seasoned beekeepers. Plus, this site holds a tight reign on criticism and arguing. I haven't found the need to research elsewhere.

But Wman, that is what the internet and forums are for is learning and expanding. Especially with hobbies like beekeeping when there is no one perfect answer. I feel better about some of the choices I have made with bees, when I ask a question and get back an answer like:

"This is what worked for me"
"You might try this"
"I'm so sorry to hear your bees died, let's try and find out why"
"Good Job Jen!"

Those are the kind of forums I would hang out on. Don't ever come away from a forum feeling dejected or less. I have never felt that way here, Never.  ;) 8)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline rwlaw

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 08:53:22 am »
Chastise someone for posting the same question on different forums? Nah, like Lburou says sometimes annoying, but there's the old adage of casting a wide net. Why not if you makes you feel better, unfortunately there's some that do get the same (what I would consider the right advice) help from posters, reject the consensus and still row against the flow LOL.
I'm here (and on other forums) to learn, bounce ideas around and maybe come up with a rounder wheel, not to judge, or count the number of posts I can get in my lifetime. If I can help someone smooth out their rough patch with what I've learned in the past, so much the better!
It's not a honeybee, it's a honey bee. Whateveer!

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 09:06:59 am »
I go to several forums.Yes, I see those who ask the same questions in different forums. I think they are just trying to get a larger audience. Nothing wrong with that. Also, the rules differ on different forums. I can post things on some forums that would never be allowed on others.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 02:50:50 pm »
Forums are there to help people meet and learn. The big difference with this one over a couple others I have been on, is this one has a special ingredient missing in most of the others, and that is..................fun! I love the fact that we can poke and needle one another and no one takes it seriously. Why can't you learn and have some fun at the same time?
Whether it's Jack's fondness for and obsession with all things plastic, to riverbee's ongoing love affair with her neighbours, to Iddee's refusal to wear clothes when working bees, to some of you guys that have facial hair that some hillbillies only dream of (no offense rt1068, nugget shooter, neillsayers, and the rest of you unkempt crew), I see absolutely no reason that fun and beekeeping can't happen together.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Green bee

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 07:59:34 pm »
You said it all Perry  :) :)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 08:55:13 pm »
I don't need any other site. I can stay totally confused right here.  :laugh: :laugh: :yes: ;D ;D :D

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 09:01:50 pm »
   I do post on other forums none in a while trying to help folks..
  I can say that my experience here is VERY much different than "there"..
  Here, I can argue inteligently with Iddee or others, and when proven WRONG I learn from it... 
   "THERE" I have often found argument just for the sake of argument. Argument against my post stating the same thing my post said. and Argument from beekeepers who are ADAMANT that the bees need to be kept "THIS WAY" Or you will kill them all and burn in hades for all of eternity..  You won't find that here..
   The folks here seem to actually understand that some of us live in Texas and some of us live in Canada. They also understand that someone with 2000 hives will not keep bees the same way that someone with two hives does.

Iunderstand the confusion, its called "Information overload!" and has to do with the myriad of methods, hive types and climates, so you have to wean the good information out of the bad...

I go to several forums.Yes, I see those who ask the same questions in different forums. I think they are just trying to get a larger audience. Nothing wrong with that. Also, the rules differ on different forums. I can post things on some forums that would never be allowed on others.
   Yep!!  AND, he sends Hilaryous EMAILS that he cant post here at times.  :laugh:

Forums are there to help people meet and learn. The big difference with this one over a couple others I have been on, is this one has a special ingredient missing in most of the others, and that is..................fun! I love the fact that we can poke and needle one another and no one takes it seriously. Why can't you learn and have some fun at the same time?
Whether it's Jack's fondness for and obsession with all things plastic, to riverbee's ongoing love affair with her neighbours, to Iddee's refusal to wear clothes when working bees, to some of you guys that have facial hair that some hillbillies only dream of ( no offense rt1068, nugget shooter, and the rest of you unkempt crew), I see absolutely no reason that fun and beekeeping can't happen together.

Well said Perry! Winter is coming on.. you have not started the winter growth yet??

Scott
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 07:16:11 am »

Well said Perry! Winter is coming on.. you have not started the winter growth yet??

Scott

I got a late start this year, only stopped shaving a week and a half ago.I usually start around the beginning of Sept. but too much going on and it was still so warm out.
Actually, looking at some of the scruffy bunch here we could easily start our own pirate ship Scott. :laugh:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 12:54:51 pm »
I have noticed multiple postings as well, WM.  I assumed posters were fishing for as many answers as they could get within the shortest amount of time. 
I have to admit that this forum is more personable than others.  Maybe it is because of the smaller size, the regular participants, the moderators

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 01:04:38 pm »
Oops! operator error.  I accidentally hit the wrong key.

I have noticed multiple postings as well, WM.  I assumed posters were fishing for as many answers as they could get within the shortest amount of time. 
I have to admit that this forum is more personable than others.  Maybe it is because of the smaller size, the regular participants, the moderators
or all of the above.
If we are talking posting etiquette, may I add a peeve of mine?
When individuals use ALL CAPS in a post, I assume they are SHOUTING!  If they are responding to something that I have posted, in ALL CAPS, I assume that they are shouting at me.  This really bothers me.  I work with kids everyday that don't have filters on their behavior.  If I want to be shouted at, I will go to work.  This is forum and beekeeping is my escape from all of that.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 02:02:09 pm »
I agree when the whole reply is caps, it is shouting. If the all caps are only a word or two, I think of it as emphasis. I often type NEVER in caps to mean there are no exceptions, it is ALWAYS adhered to. Then it is not shouting, but rather emphasis.

My pet peeve is lack of proof reading. I can proof read a post twice and still miss a couple letters or words, but when I edit someone's post and make 10 to 15 corrections, it is irritating.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Gypsi

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 02:11:24 pm »
I am in that between state between beginner and super experienced, as such I've noticed that if I post a question it often is not answered. On this forum and on a couple of others. If I really need an answer I give it a week and post to a different forum. If all else fails I hit the giant badboy bee site, and another older site and go through their files, which are extensive.

I am a mentor for beginners in my local bee club and if I am stumped I have a very good but very busy mentor in that club, and I bother him.

when my bees may die of a problem I do not worry about etiquette.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 02:53:07 pm »
when my bees may die of a problem I do not worry about etiquette.

:yes: :laugh: :yes: :laugh: :yes: :laugh: :yes:
Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 03:56:24 pm »
I agree when the whole reply is caps, it is shouting. If the all caps are only a word or two, I think of it as emphasis. I often type NEVER in caps to mean there are no exceptions, it is ALWAYS adhered to. Then it is not shouting, but rather emphasis.

My pet peeve is lack of proof reading. I can proof read a post twice and still miss a couple letters or words, but when I edit someone's post and make 10 to 15 corrections, it is irritating.

iddee, the occasional word is one thing.  I understand typing NEVER and ALWAYS.  Got it.  Newbees and those with a few years experience rely on the well seasoned for sound advice.  I just think some folks try to be condescending or feel superior in some way.   We all have something we can learn at some point... like spelling and grammar!  O:-)
I have also seen individuals using caps to emphasize something that they never or always do.  A week later they contradict themselves and don't retract any of the previous statements.  That's my 2nd peeve.  Now I feel better.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 05:34:34 pm »
OK, so we all have faults. We just have to count higher when counting credits than when we are counting faults. Then the good out weighs the bad and we all get along.    :yes: :yes:
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Green bee

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 08:47:43 pm »
Ok I'll take a stab at it and try to give a newbees point of view (mine). I have visited other sites but it was only when I was searching for this one. I feel like I have found enough knowledgeable folks here that seem to like to help in a nice way without being condescending. I have very little to offer at this point but I try to participate when I can just to try to build a relationship with the folks here. As I have read several times here that there is a thousand ways to keep bees and none are wrong if they work for you. I find there is enough variety here to satisfy my questions. And besides that I like poking fun at a few of you guys anyways. Where else can I go and do that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 10:39:48 pm »
Whether it's Jack's fondness for and obsession with all things plastic, to riverbee's ongoing love affair with her neighbours, to Iddee's refusal to wear clothes when working bees, to some of you guys that have facial hair that some hillbillies only dream of (no offense rt1068, nugget shooter, neillsayers, and the rest of you unkempt crew), I see absolutely no reason that fun and beekeeping can't happen together.

Bwahahahahaha Perry, never heard it put that way before and yep I have a bit of fur.....  8) Learning not to try to add emotion to a post can also be important and smileys can help keep someone from taking things wrong. I run a large gold forum and had to learn quickly not to ask a question and then be insulted by the answer when asking a huge audience. Some just have a matter of fact way of answering....
Cheers, Bill