Author Topic: Wasps!  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Wasps!
« on: January 10, 2017, 08:43:09 pm »
Warm temps today, and the girls are busy.

I was watching the cedar hive this afternoon, and was shocked to see a wasp leaving the hive. A bit later, and a second wasp darted in!

I've not had any luck finding the nest.

The entrances of both hives are reduced to about 3/4 inch.

We're expecting temps into the 70's for the rest of the week. I could peer into the hive, this week, but I don't know what I could do.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: Wasps!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 12:28:58 am »
I went out this evening and installed a robber screen I had made this summer.  I'll have to modify it tomorrow.  It doesn't exactly fit the changes I made to reduce the entrance.  My entrance reducer isn't flush with the hive and the entry is in the corner.  So, the screen allows entry from the sides (one bee space on each side) and of course the intended entrance on the top.  Hopefully that will be enough to confound the wasps tomorrow.

I've also hung out a yellow-jacket trap I bought at Lowes this Summer.  It's brother didn't catch anything other than flies, so I'm not too hopeful.

If I can figure out a safe way to lay out poisoned cat food, I'll do that, too.  Wife doesn't want me killing my dogs or the neighbors' cats.   :no:

Or the birds.   :no:

Or the squirrels.   :no:

Or the possums.   :no:

Just the wasps.   :yes:

And if a snake gets in there, that's OK, too.   :yes:

:eusa_think:
Never argue with drunks or crazy people