Author Topic: Nuc Swarm??  (Read 1661 times)

Offline vvand111

Nuc Swarm??
« on: April 03, 2017, 12:11:17 pm »
I brought some Nucs home last Tuesday  With all the excitement around here this past week I finally combined 1 of them with a partial swarm rescue I had on Sunday morning.  My plan was to transfer this other NUC into a 10 frame deep late afternoon yesterday.  When I went out to began to gather the equipment this is what I saw.

It swarmed up in the same area as the 2 swarms last week did but did not settle. Instead it settled back down around and under the same nuc box it left.

It took about 2.5 hours for them to get back in the nuc box and even through the night 1000 or so stayed on the outside.  I went out early today and did the transfer into the 10 deep.  This nuc had 5 frames of bees on top of bees and I mean more bees than I have ever seen in a NUC and they were HOT this morning. I did not even look real closely but a lot of capped brood. I worked as quickly as possible and got the hec out of there.

Anyway, got them all tucked in for now.  Was this just overcrowded conditions??

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Re: Nuc Swarm??
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 12:30:48 pm »
Did the partial rescued swarm have a queen ???

Offline vvand111

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 12:43:49 pm »
The partial did not have a queen. That hive is fine after I did the combining.  The nuc that swarmes a a completely different NUC

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 05:20:09 pm »
It sounds like they were crowded to me.  On the upside, if it IS a swarm situation, you have a good idea of where they'll gather. ;D. That and you're gaining LOT'S of experiance capturing them.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:24:25 pm »
Some bad storms coming through.
I miss understood,  thought you combined rescue with newnuc from n.c.

Offline vvand111

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 07:51:19 pm »
I did Mikey but that was just 1 of the nucs.. I think I might have confused folks by speaking about two different nucs. (sorry)

Nuc #1 I combined.  Nuc#2 was the  nuc that swarmed and came back home.    Nuc #3 and #4 are fine.  I think nuc #2 was just incredibly overcrowded. They seem to be very well tonight in their new 10 framed deep home.  I put a feeder on but they are not taking any sugar water??

You r right Ted.  I have learned a great deal in the past 10 days.  It is a wonder how a country boy can learn from time to time. What I have learned and how long it will stick with me is a different subject.