Author Topic: Swarm ?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Swarm ?
« on: April 13, 2017, 06:58:58 am »
When catch a swarm. Should you close the box up and if so how long ?

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: Swarm ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 08:48:25 am »
You don't have to close up the box if you've got the queen captured. I've heard you should keep her contained and in the box for at least 4 days.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 09:07:21 am »
Mikey, it depends...

If you are asking about the trip home with a new swarm, I close the box and give them some kind of ventilation, especially in hot weather.  Small holes punched in a cardboard box will work, or, if you are using a NUC or hive setup, a screened entrance is what works for me.

When the swarm gets home, you hope they do not abscond and continue to use your hive as their home.

Some people say you should feed them and trap them in their new home for three days.  I'm assuming the rationale would be to let them make some comb and give the queen a chance to lay some eggs and let them hatch, which will usually anchor the bees to their new home.

I put a swarm on a few drawn combs and feed sugar syrup with a very small entrance opening to get them started. I also use a robbing screen.   If you lock a new swarm in with a mated queen, they may stay and do well.  If they have a virgin queen, she needs to fly to mate, and I don't like that delay before the hive can get started in earnest.  So, you will hear a wide range of opinions on whether you should trap them inside for a few days before releasing them to gather nectar, or leave the entrance open.  HTH   :)
Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 09:36:35 am »
We learned that if you move the swarm into a nuc when you get home, and haven't contained the queen, she will leave immediately, taking all of her daughters with her.

:sad:
Never argue with drunks or crazy people
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.