Beekeeping > Raising Queens

Walk Away Split Isolated Colony

(1/2) > >>

Crofter:
I am mentoring a person with a single colony that is 8 or 10 miles from any other bees. No ferals here! A walk away split would result in the virgin produced mating with brother drones. Will she be a drone layer or have a percentage of her eggs fertile? I have not been able to search up a definitive answer.

iddee:
The answer I remember reading many years ago, but can't give you the source says the bees can tell which eggs were fertilized by her brother and will remove them.

Welcome back, Crofter. Long time, no see. Glad you came back.

Bakersdozen:
Hi Crofter!  I found this article on the subject. https://www.quora.com/How-do-bees-keep-from-in-breeding-recessive-genes-when-drones-mate-with-the-queen-bee-assuming-the-queen-bee-is-their-own-mother
It may be a case of inbreeding and genetic incompatibility.

Crofter:
Thanks for the link; I am convinced it would not be advisable. In the situation I proposed the queen would be the mother the drones that would mate with the virgin queen from larvae from the same mother queen, so  brother and sister. I have heard of workers aborting diploid drones. Perhaps this is how they originate.

Probably in usual surroundings it would be a rare happening.

Crofter:
Mother told me a bit about the birds and the bees a long time ago but we did not get into how complicated the bees make it! ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version