Author Topic: Trashy bird  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Trashy bird
« on: July 09, 2021, 09:11:33 am »

I was trying to count all the different bee species, including honey bee, that were working one of my vitex trees.  I spotted this bird's nest in the tree.  It's not the first bird's nest I have seen in this tree, but it was the trashiest!  You can see her tail hanging over the edge of the nest.  The feathers are red, so I think it's a cardinal.
As for the Snickers wrapper, in the spring I find all kinds of candy wrappers in my flower bed where this tree is located.  I don't know where the litter comes from but this bird made good use of it.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: Trashy bird
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 01:03:31 am »
Pretty cool the way they do that. I've found everything from cigarette butts to hair in old bird nests. When I cut my hair I always toss it into the woods for the birds.  :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 09:00:28 am »
Neil, Great to hear from you!

I just realized that she is nesting about 20 ft. from my pots of dill and fennel.  The Swallowtail butterflies like to lay their eggs on dill and fennel.  I think she might be a smart little cardinal.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 10:50:47 am »
Pretty cool the way they do that. I've found everything from cigarette butts to hair in old bird nests. When I cut my hair I always toss it into the woods for the birds.  :)
Whenever my mom brushes our Anatolian shepherds she always leaves the hair around for the birds.  We've seen it incorporated into many nests. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.