Author Topic: I made the news!  (Read 1520 times)

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
I made the news!
« on: October 12, 2021, 06:24:22 pm »
Not for beekeeping, but for spotting an exotic tortoise and starting him on his way to a safe home.  https://fox4kc.com/news/endangered-tortoise-found-on-olathe-trail/
A few more details can be read at the City's web page.  https://www.olatheks.org/Home/Components/News/News/3175/58
I knew at a glance that this tortoise was not indigenous to Kansas.  A call to Operation Wildlife confirmed it and I did as they suggested, which was call animal control.
I am so happy that the city employees did their research and will see that is sent to the sanctuary.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: I made the news!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 08:19:54 pm »
Wow, good job knowing your local wildlife!  I agree, it's great that they really made sure the tortoise was taken care of.  If it's not native to Kansas, I wonder how it got there. . . .
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 10:09:56 am »
I have thought all along that it had been a pet until someone grew tired of it or couldn't keep it any more.  I can just see some kid whose mother has had enough and wants it out!  :D  It wasn't shy and didn't try to hide in it's shell, even when the animal control officer picked it up.  I fed it cantaloupe while waiting for the wildlife expert to call me back.  The tortoise gobbled the cantaloupe.
We don't have any indigenous tortoises in Kansas.  We have turtles but most of those species prefer to live in or near bodies of water.
The following users thanked this post: neillsayers

Offline RAST

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 01:38:43 pm »
Good job, there are several in and around my bee yard, have to be careful not to trip in one of their burrows.