Beekeeping > Do-It-Yourself Plans and Prints

Pariffin Rosin For Raw Wood Boxes vs. Priming Painting

(1/3) > >>

Jen:
I have six new unfinished boxes that need to be used maybe before winter. I have an array of wooden ware, I like the parifin/rosin boxes better than painting. But I buy the parifin boxes already dipped and ready to go. Does anyone have experience with paraffin/rosin treatments?

Jen:
I'm bumping this post up to hopefully get some answers  ;) 8)

Lburou:
Jen, I would go with the dipped boxes if they were available locally at a competitive cost.  :)

Jen:
Hi Lou, the raw wood boxes I just purchased come from an 85 year old beekeeper in our area. His boxes are beautifully built and sanded. I want to continue buying my wooden ware from him, I request them unfinished.

It seems the trick to a good paraffin coating is to dip the entire box into melted paraffin. So I would need a vat for that.

When dipped into that vat of hot paraffin, the wood grain opens up and lets the paraffin soak deep into the wood.

So now, I'm getting into something potentially dangerous. And I would only be doing a few boxes a year.

Seems just painting on the paraffin is will result in peeling.

Bakersdozen:
Jen, since you had received a reply, I moved your original post to General Beekeeping and deleted your duplicate post.  It was probably more appropriate in Do It Yourself, but we will see what riverbee and Riverrat's reactions are.  ;D

I didn't respond to you post because I was unfamiliar with what you were posting about. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version