Author Topic: Hello from Portland Oregon  (Read 12950 times)

Offline jb63

Hello from Portland Oregon
« on: December 15, 2013, 10:41:09 am »
Hi I'm John and I live about 25 mi west of Portland.I started catching bees in 97 but I didn't know how to manage them.I didn't know how to use a computer and all the commercial keepers around me seemed too busy to ask for help. Finally I quit messing with them[stealing all their honey] and just left them alone.When I did that they lived three years.Then I did a walk away split in the end of may,even though I didn't know what a split was.I just wanted two boxes of bees . Then one day I  was over at a blueberry grower friend's house,and he introduced me to Terry [he's a professional beekeeper].Terry was also the pres. of the tualatin valley bee keepers association.I told Terry about my one hives and he was willing to take a look at them and give me some advice.The winter before Terry had 500 hives to take to the almonds,but when he was ready to leave there were only 50 alive.He had veroa  mites.That fall I gave him my hives and a few months later he gave me 12 quarts of honey.I thought I had won the lottery.There was blackberry,clover,golden rod,and fire weed.Then I got the bright idea to pressure wash my boxes with bleach.That got rid of all the bee smell and I couldn't catch anything for a few years.Then I learned how to use a computer and found you tube.Wow..I watched a video on how to make a swarm trap and use lemon grass oil, and it worked.Now I have 26 still alive.2 are cordovan,1 carni.,6 buckfast,and the rest mutts.I have 4 bee trees,one barn,one fence line and a brick church that I set traps near.Then I also get a few swarm calls from friends and neighbors.That's pretty much it, oh and I'm 6'6" 210 :lol:  :lol:
I don't know.It was like that when I got here.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Hello from Portland Oregon
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 11:25:50 am »
Hey JB
Good to see you found us.Thanks for the bio, I didn't know a lot of that about you. (I do know you like chat though).  :lol:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline jb63

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 11:56:57 am »
Hi Perry,it's a fine line between chat and bull shark. :lol:  :lol:
I don't know.It was like that when I got here.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 12:00:10 pm »
Hey jb, glad to see you found us!
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 12:05:54 pm »
Thanks. Glad to have you.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 12:39:09 pm »
welcome to the forum glad you found us. Great Bio
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 02:13:00 pm »
"it's a fine line between chat and bull shark."

that it is, me and  jb like to do a lot of that chat and bull shark stuff....... :lol:
WELCOME john, i am sure glad you came, and i really enjoyed reading how you started in bees. liked the bright idea on bleaching boxes, way funny!  so now you are a bull sharking bee junkie !....... :lol:
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 03:09:56 pm »
Yes, good to see you here jb!