Author Topic: Bluebird Box Swarm in My Bee Yard 2013  (Read 3954 times)

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Bluebird Box Swarm in My Bee Yard 2013
« on: December 08, 2013, 02:34:12 pm »
Easy swarm catch from my bee yard in late May 2013:

I am glad I am ocd about my hives checking them often, especially in the evening. I was sitting on my four wheeler admiring the yard when I saw something out of order. The bluebird box directly in front of my original 4 hives was fully covered with bees. I am so glad I have extra equipment on hand. Rode back to the shop and grabbed what I needed. I rocked the pole back and forth and then pulled it out. Shook the bees off in the deep. Presto, done! Fanning commenced quickly. And, as soon as I was done, I looked up and saw a beautiful rainbow. How about that ending? I went about the yard looking at the hives to see if I could tell where they came from. All looked normal. I suspect my hot hive with the 4 supers on it. It has been really full since early spring but I decided not to split them as I don't like messing with them. They were the only hive a few nights ago, 10pm, that had large numbers on the outside of the entrance and were buzzing pretty good. I don't know yet what clues to look for outwardly for signs of swarming, if any? I suppose it's possible this swarm came from outside my yard? The swarm was bigger than any of my recently caught swarms so it wasn't any of them. If you were wondering, the box was vacant between nesting times. I hope they all go for the box when they swarm in my yard because that was a ten minute job at most to take care of.

[youtube:22888rrj][/youtube:22888rrj]

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
Re: Bluebird Box Swarm in My Bee Yard 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 09:26:46 am »
Only thing that would have been better is if you found the gold at the end of the rainbow :-)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 10:43:47 am »
No doubt robo, and I like treasure hunting too!  I could have taken my Garrett At Pro metal detector over there and found where the leprechauns buried it.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 11:07:38 am »
bb, great video and pix!!!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline jb63

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 10:28:00 pm »
nice video Blue :D
I don't know.It was like that when I got here.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 10:44:16 pm »
Nice swarm Dave. Other than seeing them swarm from the hive, the only sure way is to wait 4 days and see if there are eggs still being laid in the hive. No eggs newly or about to emerge queen cells is a good indication that the hive swarmed. still no guarantee that the swarm was from that hive though. Only that that hive swarmed.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.