Author Topic: Good or bad plan?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Good or bad plan?
« on: June 24, 2019, 09:25:10 am »
So, I will have a new neighbor across the street from us.  When he learned I have hives, he commented “awesome, I’ve always wanted to get into beekeeping,I can pick your brain!”.  I smiled and nodded but inside I was kind of freaking out!  Sounds awful but I don’t want to share my area with another beeks bees.  Is my anxiety unwarranted?  We are suburbia and my concern is food sources.  I know the girls can fly 2 miles or more in search of food but still...........??

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Good or bad plan?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 09:36:34 am »
I don't know your particular area, but most areas can support 20 plus hives. If your, his, and your neighbors total doesn't go over that, it shouldn't be a problem.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 09:55:03 am »
I don't blame you, especially if there isn't an abundance of nectar sources.  You might be surprised at how many hives an area can support though.

I have found that a lot of people talk about beekeeping, but when they find out the cost they start to think twice.  Many think you just put bees in a box and come back for the honey, then they find out about varroa mites, feeding them, splitting them, and buying more woodenware, etc.  So, while he may be interested, he may not be that dedicated.  You could explain that you are still learning too and don't feel comfortable teaching someone else.  Perhaps you should recommend a good beekeeping book for him to read?  Or local bee club meetings or classes?  That is when you find out how serious they are.

Something else to consider is if he becomes a 'bee haver' instead of a beekeeper, your neighbor may create a varroa mite bomb, or Foulbrood situation brewing that could affect your colonies.

Surveys show that a new beekeeper than loses their colonies in the first year or two is likely to get out of beekeeping.  Sorry, I don't remember the exact percentage.  So, taking him under your wing, should he fail, then he can blame you for his losses.  Another reason to encourage him to learn on his own.

The up side is, he could get a bee suit and help you with the heavy lifting!

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 10:09:58 am »
Baker, I had the same thoughts about the mite bomb and other diseases.  Perhaps, having him work the hives might give him a change of heart. Popping the lid and having hundreds of bees staring at him might make him change his mind quickly LOL!  As we know beekeeping requires deep pockets and an ounce or two of insanity!!!!

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 06:01:40 pm »
imho (and the option of the most senior bee inspector here in Texas) the idea of a mite bomb is fanciful thinking with primary purpose to pass on problem to others...  having said that there are worse things than varroa in terms of disease or pathogens... I do everything I can here to encourage folks to keep bees and keep them alive.  There is a large difference between someone across the street keeping a handful of bees and someone who trucks in 500 and set them down right across the fence line from your own apiary.  The plus side of this is you have more folks supporting bees and beekeeper and some assistance when you need the help.

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 03:18:57 pm »
I would be open to helping him.  In an urban area you would be surprised at the number of feral bees that are within your foraging range
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Blair Sampson

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 08:53:50 am »
New source of drones in the area for mating purposes in a major plus.
The following users thanked this post: Les, Some Day

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 11:45:07 pm »
Thanks for everyone’s input.  I would rather help him, kind of the neighborly thing to do.  I am certainly contributing to the “feral” bee population.  Two hives swarmed on me, one took off for the hills immediately and the other hung out at about 50’ up in a tree and then left.  Oh well, seven hives is enough for me anyway.