Author Topic: Jacobsen 325 chain drive rototiller  (Read 4182 times)

Gypsi

Jacobsen 325 chain drive rototiller
« on: August 31, 2016, 09:51:19 pm »
I gave away some money last year, gal with 3 kids had gone thru a divorce and I helped her get that first months' mortgage payment together. She gave me a Jacobsen 325 chain drive rototiller that had obviously never been out in the rain. Said it ran.

I just spent today with it, put clean oil in the crankcase, (per directions on gas tank actually) siphoned out the old gas, put in fresh with a conditioner for ethanol, and got it a fresh spark plug

I can't get it started, compression feels about right, my right shoulder feels about wrong, and to be honest I do not need this tiller, I have been here 15 years, short of buying more land, I can do what I need to do with a spade. I think it needs a carburetor rebuild, and eventually I might be able to come up with a kit. Does anyone have any experience with these? seems to be an antique? 3HP Briggs engine. I do not have the eyes for a carb rebuild or money to throw away. But I am not taking it to the junk yard either.

In my experience, I put my old pressure washer with a Briggs up against any new one I've bought to such an extent that I will have the engine on it rebuilt or replaced this winter. New ones never last a year, this one is 7 years old.

I do not know how old this Jacobsen is, but it was kept indoors it looks like. It obviously has run, the oil on the air filter didn't get there from being parked, but I don't know how much to ask for it on ebay, running or not, and right now I can't get it running. My shoulder needed a break

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n406/gypsi_fw/WP_20160831_14_58_59_Pro_zpsdyeadri9.jpg
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n406/gypsi_fw/WP_20160831_14_59_14_Pro_zpsd4bbzlnb.jpg

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Jacobsen 325 chain drive rototiller
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 09:59:25 pm »
Remove the air filter. Look in the carb. If dry, pour 1 or 2 tablespoons gas into it. Pull the rope 4 times. If it hits either pull, pull choke out and pull again. It should start.

If wet, pour 1/2 cup gas into it and wait 1 hour. Then pull choke out and pull.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 10:05:10 pm »
No, I don't anything about that tiller or rebuilding a carburetor, but I do know I HATE a machine that won't start.  I bought a new string mower, a weedeater on wheels, today because the old one is too hard to start.  In fact, it didn't start today.

The tiller is definitely not junk.  Keep it until you find someone reasonable to repair it.  You may have an old pal that will put a kit in the carburetor for a bit of honey.  It's what my tax consultant calls a "barter in kind." 

Get out that spade and give your back and shoulder some relief. 

lazy

Gypsi

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 10:29:37 pm »
I pulled the air filter off and added a tablespoon or 2 of gas.  Pulled several times.   Then checked plug.

I went and got a new spark plug (the original had orange paint around the edges and may have been original equipment.)

Changed plug, poured a little more gas into the carb, choke out, choke in, that baby is not starting.  But there isn't a primer on it either, hasn't been run in at least a year if not longer. If it had started I would have considered the draw from the gas tank into the bottom of the carb at fault.  I took out gas that smelled like mineral spirits it was so old. Filled it high enough to soften any debris in that intake.  after my shoulder has rested I may give it another try.  I even shot b12 chemtool into the carb BUT that was before I discovered the fouled plug. so whether that would have worked is indeterminate.  I had to quit and get it back into the garage, rain tomorrow.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 10:54:46 pm »
OK. You said in the first post you got a new plug. You didn't say you hadn't put it in. Hook the wire to the plug and pull it once. You should see a spark. If not, it's electrical, which I doubt. If you see a spark, go through the gas routine again after installing the plug. I'm betting it hits, whether it continues running or not. If it hits, it will run with a bit of tinkering.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Gypsi

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 12:00:57 am »
I put the plug in earlier. I couldn't see a spark BUT it was full daylight.  The one thing I did NOT try with the plug in was the B12 Chemtool, which I think is ether aka how to blow up your lawnmower, but it does often work. 

I will try that with the new plug in the morning (should I see a spark with the plug installed, if it is dark?)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 12:36:57 am »
No, put the plug in the wire and lay it on the head and pull the rope, you should see spark at the plug gap.
  if you take the old plug out it and leave it out, it will roll over easy and be nice to your shoulder with no compression to come up against.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 06:55:57 am »
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 09:03:32 am »
I've had good luck with draining the carb best you can pouring in sea foam and pull the choke to suck it through the carb when you pull the rope a couple of times. Let it sit two hours then cycle a few times to get gas in and try to crank.

Offline Rugerbob

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 10:10:48 am »
If you have spark pour some Sea foam into carb or spark plug hole, three to four cap full.

Gypsi

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 11:10:24 am »
I have heard of Sea foam, is that about the same thing as Lucas Upper Cylinder lubricant gas additive, or safeguard ethanol conditioner or B12 chemtool?

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 05:59:20 pm »
It is an ethanol treatment for marine use. It seems to be a good carb and injector cleaner.

Gypsi

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 08:05:28 pm »
I'm gonna use what I have, which is the Lucas. Money is a little tight at the moment, trying not to put more in this tiller.  getting ready for trash day, a rain storm on the way, and a foster dog delivery, so the tiller is backburnered til I catch up.