Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 3295 times)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
What would you do?
« on: May 04, 2019, 07:35:27 am »
Riverrat hasn't given us a scenario recently, so I'm going to try.

May 1, planting zone 7, hive is well populated, honey flow is on. Plenty of brood, but some cells, "10 to 15 on each side of each brood frame",  is partially uncapped and you can see the head of a white pupa. No discolorization, pupa still alive.

What would be your diagnosis, and what steps would you take?
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tecumseh

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 08:14:49 pm »
varroa resistant bees... make queens cells from this hive..

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 07:12:51 pm »
So after 9-10 days (uncapped brood) ?

Offline Newbee

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 07:19:16 am »
Interesting....
If I may expose my ignorance, why do you say they are varroa resistant?
.... Reason I ask is on my last inspection, there were a handful of what appeared to be nearly fully formed drones emerging from their cells, except they were all white and almost translucent. I was worried perhaps something was wrong (various conditions will cause a hive to start pulling larvae early and removing them from the hive I understand).
Thanks for the info!

- K

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 02:04:29 pm »
That would probably be one of my best hives  and two or three years old. I would go looking for the queen and put her and a two frames of brood with bees, a frame of honey and pollen, along with two frames of foundation or drawn comb, and move to another outyard. Then go in to the the hive with the swarm cells  and cut those that are capped out and put two cells in nucs made up like i did with the old queen. I would wait till the queen cells were capped before removing them and make nucs. When i see i have broke the hive down to a little more than the size of the nucs i would cut out all but two of the remaining queen cells and hope for the best !!! If i don't want the nucs i can sell them (i never have) or give them away to new bee keepers, we need to keep the bees going !!! My thinking is , if they swarm you are going to lose half of the hive anyway and the one left will have a new queen, and by the time she gets going  they are going to have to make enough stores to get through the Mo. winter, so i probably won't get any honey off that hive anyway , But i will have new hives for next Year!!! Like us farmers say ! Well maybe NEXT YEAR??? Jack JMHO

Offline Green bee

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 10:30:07 pm »
I’m interested to know! ;) :t3816:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein